Algebraic manipulation for easier integration

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for integrating x^2/(1+x^2) from 0 to 1, with one person suggesting an algebraic manipulation and the other offering a simpler method. The conversation also mentions some algebraic identities that can be used to check the validity of a manipulation.
stmbs02

Homework Statement

I am trying to integrate x^2/(1+x^2 ) from 0 to 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

We recently worked on trig substitutions in class, but, rather than substituting x for tan(theta) I think there may be an easier way via algebraic manipulation. If I divide both numerator and denominator by the highest power of X in the denominator (x^2), then I get back out

1/(1/x^2 +1)

which is equal to x^2/2.

Now, I can easily integrate 1/2 x^2 without trig substitution.

My main question is: Is this a viable method for simplifying the integral, or must I go through trig substitution?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think what you did made it simpler, but here is what I'd do

[tex]\int_0 ^{1} \frac{x^2}{x^2+1}dx = \int_0 ^{1} \frac{x^2+1-1}{x^2+1}dx = \int_0 ^{1} \left( 1- \frac{1}{x^2+1} \right)dx[/tex]

stmbs02 said:
1/(1/x^2 +1)

which is equal to x^2/2.
:confused:

Hurkyl said:
:confused:

Doesn't it? Algebra is not exactly my strong suit. 1/(1/x^2) is x^2 (the denominator of the denominator is the numerator), right?

stmbs02 said:
1/(1/x^2) is x^2 (the denominator of the denominator is the numerator), right?
This is true, but not relevant to the problem -- there's a "+1" in there, and you can't just ignore it.

This is true:
[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{q}} = q[/tex]

but you're working with
[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{q} + r}[/tex]

which is not of the form of the left hand side.

Incidentally, if you're ever unsure about an algebraic identity, you should do a sanity check -- try plugging in some numbers. If your algebraic manipulation is valid, then plugging in numbers should give equal results.

(Though beware -- getting equal results doesn't prove your manipulation is valid)

Thanks for the help. rock.freak667, I think what you did makes a lot more sense than what I did.

1. What is algebraic manipulation for easier integration?

Algebraic manipulation for easier integration is the process of rearranging and simplifying algebraic expressions to make them more conducive to integration.

2. Why is algebraic manipulation important in integration?

Algebraic manipulation is important in integration because it allows us to transform complex expressions into simpler forms, making integration easier and more efficient.

3. What are some common algebraic manipulation techniques used in integration?

Some common algebraic manipulation techniques used in integration include factoring, expanding, substituting variables, and using trigonometric identities.

4. How does algebraic manipulation help in solving difficult integration problems?

Algebraic manipulation helps in solving difficult integration problems by breaking down complex expressions into smaller, manageable parts and applying integration techniques to each part separately.

5. Can algebraic manipulation be used in all types of integration problems?

Yes, algebraic manipulation can be used in all types of integration problems. It is a versatile tool that can be applied to a wide range of functions and expressions to make integration easier.