1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic manipulation for easier integration

1. Aug 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to integrate x^2/(1+x^2 ) from 0 to 1.

3. The attempt at a solution

We recently worked on trig substitutions in class, but, rather than substituting x for tan(theta) I think there may be an easier way via algebraic manipulation. If I divide both numerator and denominator by the highest power of X in the denominator (x^2), then I get back out

1/(1/x^2 +1)

which is equal to x^2/2.

Now, I can easily integrate 1/2 x^2 without trig substitution.

My main question is: Is this a viable method for simplifying the integral, or must I go through trig substitution?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I don't think what you did made it simpler, but here is what I'd do

[tex]\int_0 ^{1} \frac{x^2}{x^2+1}dx = \int_0 ^{1} \frac{x^2+1-1}{x^2+1}dx = \int_0 ^{1} \left( 1- \frac{1}{x^2+1} \right)dx[/tex]

4. Aug 8, 2009 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:confused:

5. Aug 8, 2009 #4
    Doesn't it? Algebra is not exactly my strong suit. 1/(1/x^2) is x^2 (the denominator of the denominator is the numerator), right?

6. Aug 8, 2009 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is true, but not relevant to the problem -- there's a "+1" in there, and you can't just ignore it.

This is true:
    [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{q}} = q[/tex]

but you're working with
    [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{q} + r}[/tex]

which is not of the form of the left hand side.

Incidentally, if you're ever unsure about an algebraic identity, you should do a sanity check -- try plugging in some numbers. If your algebraic manipulation is valid, then plugging in numbers should give equal results.

(Though beware -- getting equal results doesn't prove your manipulation is valid)

7. Aug 9, 2009 #6
    Thanks for the help. rock.freak667, I think what you did makes a lot more sense than what I did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook