1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic operation

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a rotation of rigid bodies-problem there's a question regarding the speed of a falling block, attached to a solid cylinder which can rotate frictionless around its axis. I have a question regarding the algebraic operations.

2. Relevant equations

So I have this expression: ##mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2(1/2MR^2)(v^2/R^2)##.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can operate on the expression to solve for v. So I eventually get that ##2mgh=v^2(m+1/2M)##. And from here I just want to divide both sides by ##(m+1/2M)## and take the square root of both sides.

Which would leave me with ##v=sqrt((2mgh)/(m+(1/2)M)##

My text book expresses this result as ##v=sqrt((2gh)/(1+(M/2m))##

Are those the same results? If so, what operations were made to end up with that result? If not, what did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Divide both sides of ##2mgh=v^2(m+1/2M)## by m and then solve for v.

You should be careful to distinguish (1/2)M from 1/(2M) though.

4. Aug 12, 2015 #3
    Thanks. I get that if I divide ##(m+1/2M)## by ##m## I get ##(1+M/2m)##. But doesn't dividing the whole right-hand side with ##m## affect ##v^2## and I'll end up with ##v^2/m##? I hope you can get what's confusing me. :)

5. Aug 12, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why should dividing by m affect v2? What you are doing is dividing ##(m+1/2M)## by m.

It's like saying m * y = (1 + k) * x2. If you divide both sides of the equation by the same quantity, what's left must be equal. That's not really algebra even; it's arithmetic.

m * y = (1 + k) * x2 will be the same as y = [(1 + k)/m] * x2, as long as m ≠ 0.

The value of x is not going to be affected by dividing by m.

6. Aug 13, 2015 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

Test the relationship:
    ## \sqrt{ \frac{2mgh}{m+M/2} } = \sqrt{ \frac{(m)2gh}{(m)(1+M/(2m)} } = \sqrt{ \frac{2gh}{(1+M/(2m)} }##
    They look the same to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted