Algebraic Operation Homework: Are Same Results Achieved?

• Thread starter Quadrat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the speed of a falling block attached to a solid cylinder rotating frictionlessly around its axis. The question involves algebraic operations and the final result is expressed as ##v=sqrt((2gh)/(1+(M/2m)))##. The conversation also confirms that this result is equivalent to ##v=sqrt((2mgh)/(m+(1/2)M))##.
Quadrat

Homework Statement

[/B]
In a rotation of rigid bodies-problem there's a question regarding the speed of a falling block, attached to a solid cylinder which can rotate frictionless around its axis. I have a question regarding the algebraic operations.

Homework Equations

So I have this expression: ##mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2(1/2MR^2)(v^2/R^2)##.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can operate on the expression to solve for v. So I eventually get that ##2mgh=v^2(m+1/2M)##. And from here I just want to divide both sides by ##(m+1/2M)## and take the square root of both sides.

Which would leave me with ##v=sqrt((2mgh)/(m+(1/2)M)##

My textbook expresses this result as ##v=sqrt((2gh)/(1+(M/2m))##

Are those the same results? If so, what operations were made to end up with that result? If not, what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quadrat said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
In a rotation of rigid bodies-problem there's a question regarding the speed of a falling block, attached to a solid cylinder which can rotate frictionless around its axis. I have a question regarding the algebraic operations.

Homework Equations

So I have this expression: ##mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2(1/2MR^2)(v^2/R^2)##.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can operate on the expression to solve for v. So I eventually get that ##2mgh=v^2(m+1/2M)##. And from here I just want to divide both sides by ##(m+1/2M)## and take the square root of both sides.

Are those the same results? If so, what operations were made to end up with that result? If not, what did I do wrong?

Divide both sides of ##2mgh=v^2(m+1/2M)## by m and then solve for v.

You should be careful to distinguish (1/2)M from 1/(2M) though.

SteamKing said:
Divide both sides of 2mgh=v2(m+1/2M)2mgh=v^2(m+1/2M) by m and then solve for v.

Thanks. I get that if I divide ##(m+1/2M)## by ##m## I get ##(1+M/2m)##. But doesn't dividing the whole right-hand side with ##m## affect ##v^2## and I'll end up with ##v^2/m##? I hope you can get what's confusing me. :)

Quadrat said:
Thanks. I get that if I divide ##(m+1/2M)## by ##m## I get ##(1+M/2m)##. But doesn't dividing the whole right-hand side with ##m## affect ##v^2## and I'll end up with ##v^2/m##? I hope you can get what's confusing me. :)

Why should dividing by m affect v2? What you are doing is dividing ##(m+1/2M)## by m.

It's like saying m * y = (1 + k) * x2. If you divide both sides of the equation by the same quantity, what's left must be equal. That's not really algebra even; it's arithmetic.

m * y = (1 + k) * x2 will be the same as y = [(1 + k)/m] * x2, as long as m ≠ 0.

The value of x is not going to be affected by dividing by m.

Quadrat said:

Homework Statement

Test the relationship:
## \sqrt{ \frac{2mgh}{m+M/2} } = \sqrt{ \frac{(m)2gh}{(m)(1+M/(2m)} } = \sqrt{ \frac{2gh}{(1+M/(2m)} }##
They look the same to me.

1. What are algebraic operations?

Algebraic operations are mathematical operations that involve manipulating algebraic expressions, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is the purpose of algebraic operations?

The purpose of algebraic operations is to simplify and solve equations, making it easier to understand and manipulate complex mathematical expressions.

3. How do you know if the same result is achieved in algebraic operations?

If the same mathematical expression is simplified or solved using different methods or steps, the result should be the same. Additionally, checking the final answer against the original equation can also confirm if the same result was achieved.

4. What are the consequences of not achieving the same result in algebraic operations?

If the same result is not achieved in algebraic operations, it could mean that an error was made in the calculations or that there is a mistake in the original equation. This could lead to incorrect solutions and a misunderstanding of the mathematical concept being studied.

5. How can I ensure that the same result is achieved in algebraic operations?

To ensure that the same result is achieved in algebraic operations, it is important to carefully follow the rules and steps for each operation, double-check calculations, and verify the final answer against the original equation.