Fast Algorithm for Determining Path Existence in a Graph?

In summary, there is an algorithm which is O(1) or O(log n) which can tell whether there is a path from a node A to a node B in a graph.
sid_galt
Is there an algorithm which is O(1) or O(log n) (basically a very fast algorithm) which can tell whether there is a path from a node A to a node B in a graph?

Thanks

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Do you have to find a path? Or do you just want to know whether a path exists?

If you want to find a path, I suggest looking at the algorithms listed on the wiki for "shortest path problem". In particular dijkstra [sp]'s algorithm is like O(n log n) if you implement it smartly.

If you just want to know whether one exists... in that case you can just do a normal Depth-First Search or Breadth-First Search, both of which are like O(n).

If you have one graph and you will be performing lots of queries on it there is one trick where, as described here, if you convert the graph to an adjacency matrix, and then take that matrix to the power of N, then the resulting matrix [tex]A_{ij}[/tex] will tell you whether a path of length N exists between i and j. So if you just take the initial adjacency matrix to the powers 1 through [longest path], and save the results as you go to another matrix, then you'll have a nice little cache that you can do O(1) queries from. (I actually don't know if this is the best way to create such a cache, it's just the only thing I can think of off the top of my head! Actually I think matrix multiplication costs O(n^3) or something, so it seems certain that a more direct method could do the same thing much faster.)

EDIT: Also, note that the "shortest path algorithm"s listed are for weighted graphs. For an unweighted graph, a breadth-first search will actually find an optimal path and you won't even have any need for a fancy algorithm ilke dijikstra [sp]'s.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I just need a true and false answer as to whether a path exists or not.
Unfortunately the adjacency matrix trick won't work because the adjacency matrix itself is
n^2 big (n being the number of nodes in the graph) making the whole operation atleast
O(n^2).

Just go ahead and do a DFS or BFS starting at the beginning of the path then.

1. What is an algorithm for finding a path in a graph?

An algorithm for finding a path in a graph is a set of instructions that allow a computer to navigate through a graph and determine the shortest or most efficient path between two nodes.

2. How does the algorithm determine the best path in a graph?

The algorithm typically uses a search technique, such as Breadth-First Search or Depth-First Search, to explore the graph and find all possible paths from the starting node to the ending node. It then compares these paths and selects the shortest or most efficient one.

3. What are the inputs and outputs of the algorithm?

The input of the algorithm is the graph itself, which includes information about the nodes and edges. The output is the path that the algorithm has determined to be the best, along with any relevant information about the path, such as the total distance or cost.

4. What are some common applications of path-finding algorithms in graphs?

Path-finding algorithms are commonly used in navigation systems, such as GPS devices or mapping applications, to determine the shortest route between two locations. They are also used in logistics and transportation planning, network routing, and game development.

5. What are some challenges when implementing a path-finding algorithm for graphs?

One of the main challenges is the time and space complexity of the algorithm, as the number of possible paths in a graph can be very large. Another challenge is handling graphs with cycles or negative edge weights, which can affect the accuracy of the algorithm's results. Finally, the algorithm may need to be adapted for different types of graphs, such as directed or weighted graphs.