• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

"All but Qualifier" on resume?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Due to the somewhat complicated birth of my son (who is actually doing awesome), and the resulting unemployment of my wife, I will need to find some work before I can finish my Master's (pure math).

I am basically done course work, and have to finish my qualifier, which I was unable to study for while wife and child were in the hospital.

So how do I play this on a resume? I'm wondering if a local community college would consider hiring me for a teaching position. The requirements are at least a Master's, which of course I am but one test away from. (I will take and likely pass it it in August).

I have other skills and such that I can play up, but I can talk about those more in the thread. I'm more interested in the language of the resume here.

-Dave K

Answers and Replies

MarneMath
Education Advisor
Keep in mind this was a decade or so ago but when I finished my Masters and was looking for a job until my little thesis defense. I simply wrote something like this:

Professional Master in Statistics
Pending thesis defense, anticipated completion date xxxx-xx-xx
Rice University

That's basically how I had it on my resume and it never caused any issues.

*I should note that I had to defend my thesis during the summer for various of reasons. So there was a brief 2 month period where I was working at a job that required a masters in stats whereas I didn't officially have mine at the time.

I have seen things like "coursework completed as of [date], expected completion of qualifying exam in August" on resumes for folks in your situation. It isn't all that uncommon for a resume to contain information about when you think you will be done with your degree, even though your case may be a bit different in the reason why. You might reasonably expect a question about this from an interviewer.

Depending on the job, it may not be possible to start without the credential. Unfortunately, this may be more of a problem for you than the phrasing of your resume. However, it also may not matter much. Details abound here.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
The requirements are at least a Master's, which of course I am but one test away from. (I will take and likely pass it it in August).
If I understand you, completion of the qualifier exam means you automatically successfully complete the Master's degree?

If so, this is fairly common- at least, for every search committee I have been on, at least one qualified candidate lists something like 'ABD' (all but degree). To be sure, it does raise a flag- what guarantee do we have that you will in fact complete your degree by the start date?- but if you are otherwise qualified, being ABD does not eliminate you from consideration.

Thanks all. I went with "Pending Qualifying Exam fall 2016" for now.

I will be applying both to jobs that require a Master's in math (i.e. teaching jobs) and jobs that I was qualified to do before even returning to school. (Technical jobs, etc.)

Just to give a quick version of the background: Right now I just need work - my wife had a difficult and premature birth and is now out of a job because of it, and my son is still in the NICU. He is in good shape and will come home soon enough, but our savings are draining and I will need to get back in the workforce pretty quickly, so I can't be too picky just yet.

-Dave K