"All but Qualifier" on resume?

• Math
  • Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resume
In summary, Dave is looking for work to support his family until his son comes home from the hospital. He is ABD (all but degree) and has completed most of the coursework for his Master's. He is qualified for many jobs, but is worried about the language of his resume. He is considering applying to jobs that require a Master's in math and jobs he was qualified to do before he went back to school.
dkotschessaa
Due to the somewhat complicated birth of my son (who is actually doing awesome), and the resulting unemployment of my wife, I will need to find some work before I can finish my Master's (pure math).

I am basically done course work, and have to finish my qualifier, which I was unable to study for while wife and child were in the hospital.

So how do I play this on a resume? I'm wondering if a local community college would consider hiring me for a teaching position. The requirements are at least a Master's, which of course I am but one test away from. (I will take and likely pass it it in August).

I have other skills and such that I can play up, but I can talk about those more in the thread. I'm more interested in the language of the resume here.

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind this was a decade or so ago but when I finished my Masters and was looking for a job until my little thesis defense. I simply wrote something like this:

Professional Master in Statistics
Pending thesis defense, anticipated completion date xxxx-xx-xx
Rice University

That's basically how I had it on my resume and it never caused any issues.

*I should note that I had to defend my thesis during the summer for various of reasons. So there was a brief 2 month period where I was working at a job that required a masters in stats whereas I didn't officially have mine at the time.

Likes Timo and dkotschessaa
I have seen things like "coursework completed as of [date], expected completion of qualifying exam in August" on resumes for folks in your situation. It isn't all that uncommon for a resume to contain information about when you think you will be done with your degree, even though your case may be a bit different in the reason why. You might reasonably expect a question about this from an interviewer.

Depending on the job, it may not be possible to start without the credential. Unfortunately, this may be more of a problem for you than the phrasing of your resume. However, it also may not matter much. Details abound here.

Likes dkotschessaa
dkotschessaa said:
The requirements are at least a Master's, which of course I am but one test away from. (I will take and likely pass it it in August).

If I understand you, completion of the qualifier exam means you automatically successfully complete the Master's degree?

If so, this is fairly common- at least, for every search committee I have been on, at least one qualified candidate lists something like 'ABD' (all but degree). To be sure, it does raise a flag- what guarantee do we have that you will in fact complete your degree by the start date?- but if you are otherwise qualified, being ABD does not eliminate you from consideration.

Likes Ben Espen
Thanks all. I went with "Pending Qualifying Exam fall 2016" for now.

I will be applying both to jobs that require a Master's in math (i.e. teaching jobs) and jobs that I was qualified to do before even returning to school. (Technical jobs, etc.)

Just to give a quick version of the background: Right now I just need work - my wife had a difficult and premature birth and is now out of a job because of it, and my son is still in the NICU. He is in good shape and will come home soon enough, but our savings are draining and I will need to get back in the workforce pretty quickly, so I can't be too picky just yet.

-Dave K

1. What is the purpose of including "All but Qualifier" on a resume?

The purpose of including "All but Qualifier" on a resume is to highlight that the individual has completed all coursework required for a degree, but may be missing a few credits or have not yet completed a final project or thesis.

2. Should "All but Qualifier" be listed under the education section or a separate section on a resume?

This depends on the individual's preference and the layout of their resume. If the individual has completed all other requirements for the degree, it can be listed under the education section with the degree name and anticipated graduation date. Otherwise, it can be listed as a separate section to emphasize that the degree is not yet completed.

3. Is it necessary to include "All but Qualifier" on a resume?

No, it is not necessary to include "All but Qualifier" on a resume. However, if the individual has completed all other requirements for the degree and is close to graduation, it may be beneficial to include it to show their progress towards completing the degree.

4. How should "All but Qualifier" be listed on a resume?

It can be listed as "All but Qualifier" or "All But Dissertation" (ABD) depending on the individual's field of study. It should be placed after the degree name and anticipated graduation date, if applicable.

5. Does having "All but Qualifier" on a resume affect job opportunities?

Having "All but Qualifier" on a resume may not affect job opportunities, as it simply indicates that the individual has completed all coursework required for a degree. However, some employers may prefer candidates who have already completed their degree. It is important to highlight other qualifications and experiences on the resume to make a strong case for the job position.