1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Allowable shear stress in bending

1. Aug 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I think the notes is wrong . in the notes , it's given that σ allowable > Mmax / Ze

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i think it should be σ allowable > Mmax < Ze , am i right ? How could the σ allowable > Mmax / Ze ? If σ allowable > Mmax / Ze , the beam will rupture , right ?

Attached Files:

• 369.jpg
      369.jpg
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does σ allowable > Mmax < Ze even mean?

Think about this for a minute.

Ze has units of L3, Mmax has units of force × L, and σ allowable of course has units of ##\frac{force}{L^2}##, so these three quantities cannot be related by a simple inequality as you are thinking.

The bending stress σ in a beam is given by the formula

##σ = \frac{M ⋅ y}{I}##

The elastic section modulus of the beam Ze is the ratio ##\frac{I}{y}##, which means that ##σ = \frac{M}{Ze}##.
    Therefore, ##σ\, allowable > \frac{Mmax}{Ze}##, since you want the allowable bending stress to be greater than the actual calculated bending stress in the beam.

4. Aug 26, 2016 #3
    since , ##\frac{Mmax}{Ze}## = caluculated stress , then the ##σ\, allowable## shouldnt exceed the calculated stress , right ? if ##σ\, allowable > \frac{Mmax}{Ze}## , the beam will rupture , right ?

5. Aug 26, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you have things confused.

σ allowable is the maximum stress the material of the beam can experience before something bad happens. Typically for steel, σ allowable represents the yield point of the material. The actual stress in the beam is not σ allowable, but is calculated from M / Ze, where M is the bending moment and Ze is the elastic section modulus of the beam.

In order for a beam to remain intact, σ bending < σ allowable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted