Allowable shear stress in bending

In summary: If σ allowable > Mmax / Ze, the beam will rupture. However, this cannot happen since σ allowable > Mmax / Ze.
chetzread

Homework Statement

I think the notes is wrong . in the notes , it's given that σ allowable > Mmax / Ze

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it should be σ allowable > Mmax < Ze , am i right ? How could the σ allowable > Mmax / Ze ? If σ allowable > Mmax / Ze , the beam will rupture , right ?

Attachments

• 369.jpg
    369.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:

Homework Statement

I think the notes is wrong . in the notes , it's given that σ allowable > Mmax / Ze

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it should be σ allowable > Mmax < Ze , am i right ? How could the σ allowable > Mmax / Ze ? If σ allowable > Mmax / Ze , the beam will rupture , right ?
What does σ allowable > Mmax < Ze even mean?

Think about this for a minute.

Ze has units of L3, Mmax has units of force × L, and σ allowable of course has units of ##\frac{force}{L^2}##, so these three quantities cannot be related by a simple inequality as you are thinking.

The bending stress σ in a beam is given by the formula

##σ = \frac{M ⋅ y}{I}##

The elastic section modulus of the beam Ze is the ratio ##\frac{I}{y}##, which means that ##σ = \frac{M}{Ze}##.
Therefore, ##σ\, allowable > \frac{Mmax}{Ze}##, since you want the allowable bending stress to be greater than the actual calculated bending stress in the beam.

SteamKing said:
What does σ allowable > Mmax < Ze even mean?

Think about this for a minute.

Ze has units of L3, Mmax has units of force × L, and σ allowable of course has units of ##\frac{force}{L^2}##, so these three quantities cannot be related by a simple inequality as you are thinking.

The bending stress σ in a beam is given by the formula

##σ = \frac{M ⋅ y}{I}##

The elastic section modulus of the beam Ze is the ratio ##\frac{I}{y}##, which means that ##σ = \frac{M}{Ze}##.
Therefore, ##σ\, allowable > \frac{Mmax}{Ze}##, since you want the allowable bending stress to be greater than the actual calculated bending stress in the beam.
since , ##\frac{Mmax}{Ze}## = caluculated stress , then the ##σ\, allowable## shouldn't exceed the calculated stress , right ? if ##σ\, allowable > \frac{Mmax}{Ze}## , the beam will rupture , right ?

chetzread said:
since , ##\frac{Mmax}{Ze}## = caluculated stress , then the ##σ\, allowable## shouldn't exceed the calculated stress , right ? if ##σ\, allowable > \frac{Mmax}{Ze}## , the beam will rupture , right ?
No, you have things confused.

σ allowable is the maximum stress the material of the beam can experience before something bad happens. Typically for steel, σ allowable represents the yield point of the material. The actual stress in the beam is not σ allowable, but is calculated from M / Ze, where M is the bending moment and Ze is the elastic section modulus of the beam.

In order for a beam to remain intact, σ bending < σ allowable.

Likes chetzread

What is allowable shear stress in bending?

Allowable shear stress in bending is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before it begins to deform or break in response to an applied bending force.

How is allowable shear stress in bending calculated?

Allowable shear stress in bending is typically calculated using a formula that takes into account the material's yield strength, cross-sectional area, and the moment of inertia of the bending section.

What factors affect allowable shear stress in bending?

The main factors that affect allowable shear stress in bending include the type of material, its thickness, and any changes in the cross-sectional area or shape of the bending section.

Why is it important to consider allowable shear stress in bending?

Considering allowable shear stress in bending is important because exceeding this limit can lead to permanent deformation or failure of the material, which can have serious consequences in structural and mechanical systems.

How can allowable shear stress in bending be increased?

The allowable shear stress in bending can be increased by using a stronger material, increasing the thickness of the material, or changing the cross-sectional shape of the bending section to distribute the stress more evenly.