Almost finished with Calculus for ever

• Thread starter Snakeonia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the problem at hand is to find the area of the region formed by the intersection of the plane x + 2y + 2z = 5 and the cylinder with walls x = y^2 and x = 2 - y. To solve this, start by visualizing the graphs of the two equations and determining their intersection points. Then, the limits of integration can be determined and the area can be calculated using the differential of the plane. There are multiple methods for computing this, so the individual should mention what they have tried.
Snakeonia
i hope anyway lol here's my problem

Find area of Region cut from plane x + 2y + 2z = 5
by the cylinder whose walls are x = y^2 and x = 2 - y

can someone point me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a picture- what do the graphs of x= y2 and x= 2- y look like? Where do they intersect? If you were integrating over that region, what would the limits of integration be? And, of course, you want to integrate the "differential of area" for the plane x+ 2y+ 2z= 5. Since that is a plane, there are several different ways of computing that. What have you tried?

1. Will I ever use Calculus in my everyday life?

Calculus is used in many fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. While you may not use it directly in your daily activities, it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in various situations.

2. What should I do if I am struggling with Calculus?

If you are struggling with Calculus, it is important to seek help from your teacher, classmates, or a tutor. Practice regularly and do not be afraid to ask questions. Additionally, there are many online resources and study guides available to help you understand the concepts better.

3. Is it necessary to take Calculus if it is not required for my major?

While it may not be required for your major, taking Calculus can provide a strong foundation for other advanced math and science courses. It also demonstrates critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued by employers.

4. How can I prepare for Calculus before taking the class?

Before taking Calculus, it is helpful to review algebra and trigonometry concepts. It is also beneficial to familiarize yourself with basic differentiation and integration techniques. Many online resources offer practice problems and tutorials to help you prepare.

5. What careers require knowledge of Calculus?

Careers in engineering, economics, statistics, and physics often require knowledge of Calculus. It is also useful for those pursuing advanced degrees in fields such as medicine, law, and business. Additionally, many analytical and problem-solving roles in various industries value candidates with a strong understanding of Calculus.