Why Alpha Particle Decay Q Leads to Lifetime Change

In summary, a small change in energy released, Q, in alpha particle decay leads to a large change in the lifetime.
hhhmortal
Hi,

I want to know why a small change in energy released, Q, in alpha particle decay leads to a large change in the lifetime. Also could anyone provide me with a link that shows a diagram of the energy spectrum of alpha particles.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hhhmortal said:
Hi,

I want to know why a small change in energy released, Q, in alpha particle decay leads to a large change in the lifetime. Also could anyone provide me with a link that shows a diagram of the energy spectrum of alpha particles.
Please define 'small' with respect to energy, Q.

One can find details on specific radionuclides at - http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/ (click on a particular area and choose a nuclide, then select Zoom 1 for a closeup). One can use various links to various other pages (In Zoom 1 mode - look for A list of levels, a level scheme and decay radiation information are available near the bottom of the page).

For example -
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/decaysearchdirect.jsp?nuc=242PU&unc=nds

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/getdecayscheme.jsp?nucleus=238U&dsid=242pu a decay&unc=nds

The general website = http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/

hhhmortal said:
Hi,

Thanks.

I take it you're referring to the exponential dependence of the mean lifetime (or half-life) on the energy Q for an alpha-emitting radionuclide, as observed in the Geiger-Nuttal law?

You can derive this if you're familiar with basic quantum mechanics, and you treat the alpha particle escaping the nucleus as a basic example of a quantum mechanical tunnelling/scattering from a bound state, as Gamow originally showed. It's often shown as an example in many undergrad quantum mechanics books.

1. What is alpha particle decay?

Alpha particle decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable atom emits an alpha particle, which is made up of two protons and two neutrons, from its nucleus. This process results in the formation of a new, more stable element.

2. How does alpha particle decay lead to lifetime change?

When an atom undergoes alpha particle decay, it loses mass and becomes a new element. This change in mass also affects the stability of the nucleus, which can lead to a change in the atom's half-life. This means that the amount of time it takes for half of the original unstable atoms to decay into stable atoms can be altered by alpha particle decay.

3. What factors affect the rate of alpha particle decay?

The rate of alpha particle decay is primarily dependent on the stability of the atom's nucleus. This is determined by the balance of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, as well as the strength of the nuclear forces holding the nucleus together. Other factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also influence the rate of decay.

4. How is alpha particle decay used in scientific research?

Alpha particle decay is used in various fields of scientific research, including nuclear physics, geology, and medicine. It is used to study the properties of different elements and their isotopes, as well as to determine the age of rocks and fossils. In medicine, alpha particle emitters are sometimes used in radiation therapy to specifically target and destroy cancer cells.

5. Is alpha particle decay dangerous?

Alpha particle decay can be dangerous if a person is exposed to high levels of alpha radiation. However, the particles have a low penetration power and can be easily blocked by a sheet of paper or even the outer layer of skin. In addition, many safety precautions are taken in handling radioactive materials to minimize any potential harm. As with any type of radiation, it is important to take proper precautions and follow safety guidelines when working with alpha particle emitters.