1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternate, superior solution to an integral

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi all, consider the integral
    [tex]I= \int \frac{dx}{cos^2 x( \sqrt{ cos^2 x - cos^2 a} ) } [/tex]
    I've solved it with three substitutions (don't have time to post it at the moment) but was wondering if anyone here can provide a superior, more simplistic solution; e.g. one substitution with proper algebraic simplification.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the first substitution was [tex]u=cos \theta [/tex] the second was [tex]u=sec w [/tex], and final substitution was [tex]z = sin w [/tex], had to use some trig identities in between and focus in on the simplifications. My current solution is (I'll still have yet to review it close up for dumb mistakes)

[tex] I= \frac{i}{cos a} [ \frac{( \frac{2(cos^2 x -1)}{cosx}) ^2 ln( \frac{2(cos^2 x -1)}{cosx} ) + ( \frac{2(cos^2 x -1)}{cosx} ) ^4 -1 }{2 ( \frac{2(cos^2 x -1)}{cosx} ) ^2 } ~] + C [/tex]

I'm having some trouble with latex

I = (i/cosa)[2{(cos^2 x -1)/(cosx)}^2 ln {(cos^2 x -1)/(cosx)} + {(cos^2 x -1)/(cosx))^2}^4 - 1]/[2 {(cos^2 x -1)/(cosx)}^2] + C

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?