Alternating Series Estimation Theorem

In summary: You should say "In summary, to approximate ln 2 with error < 3/1000, the least number of terms in the series is: (i) 333 (ii) 534 (iii) 100 (iv) 9 (v) 201." (3) You should not be multiplying 2^n by (n+1). That is the error term in the series expansion. You should be multiplying 2^n by (n+1), and then adding 1 to that. (4) You need to simplify this equation. In summary, to approximate ln 2 with error < 3/1000, the least number of terms in the series is: (i) 333 (ii) 534 (iii
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

Using the power series for ln(x + 1) and the Estimation Theorem for the Alternating Series, we conclude that the least number of terms in the series needed to approximate ln 2 with error < 3/1000 is: (i) 333 (ii) 534 (iii) 100 (iv) 9 (v) 201

Homework Equations

ln(x+1) = Σ(-1)^nx^n/n!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the alternating series estimation thm is |Sn-S| ≤ (estimation) which is 3/1000. I get x to be equal to 1 since we want ln(2), but when I setup the equation I get lost on how to simplify this to a specific n value. (Calculators are not allowed on exam so I am rusty with algebra).

I get (-1)^n+1 * 2^n/(n+1)! ≤ 3/1000 which gives 2^n ≤ 3/1000 * (n+1) and I can't figure how to get the n in the exponent down without using ln yet the answers are specific numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
jlmccart03 said:

Homework Statement

Using the power series for ln(x + 1) and the Estimation Theorem for the Alternating Series, we conclude that the least number of terms in the series needed to approximate ln 2 with error < 3/1000 is: (i) 333 (ii) 534 (iii) 100 (iv) 9 (v) 201

Homework Equations

ln(x+1) = Σ(-1)^nx^n/n!

I know that the alternating series estimation thm is |Sn-S| ≤ (estimation) which is 3/1000. I get x to be equal to 1 since we want ln(2), but when I setup the equation I get lost on how to simplify this to a specific n value. (Calculators are not allowed on exam so I am rusty with algebra).

I get (-1)^n+1 * 2^n/(n+1)! ≤ 3/1000 which gives 2^n ≤ 3/1000 * (n+1) and I can't figure how to get the n in the exponent down without using ln yet the answers are specific numbers.
For an alternating series, the estimated error is less than the magnitude of the term following the last one.
What is the Taylor series of ln(x+1) around x=0?

jlmccart03 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

ln(x+1) = Σ(-1)^nx^n/n!

(1) You have the wrong series; your series is the expansion of ##e^{-x}##, which is not what was asked. The expansion of ##\ln(1+x)## is a lot simpler, and produces a problem solvable easily in an exam setting without a calculator.
(2) You say you need ##x = 1##, so how did ##1^n## become ##2^n##?

1. What is the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem?

The Alternating Series Estimation Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that an alternating series (a series in which the terms alternate in sign) will converge to a certain limit, and the error in this estimate can be bounded by the absolute value of the next term in the series.

2. How is the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem used?

The Alternating Series Estimation Theorem is used to estimate the value of a series by finding the sum of a finite number of terms and then using the theorem to determine how accurate this estimate is. It can also be used to prove the convergence of an alternating series.

3. What is the significance of the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem?

The Alternating Series Estimation Theorem is significant because it provides a way to estimate the value of a series and determine the error in this estimate. This can be useful in many applications, such as in physics and engineering, where series are commonly used to model real-world phenomena.

4. Can the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem be applied to all series?

No, the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem can only be applied to alternating series, where the terms alternate in sign. It cannot be applied to series with terms that do not alternate, such as geometric series.

5. Are there any limitations to the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem. It can only be used to estimate the value of a series, and the error in this estimate, if the series satisfies certain conditions, such as the terms decreasing in absolute value. If these conditions are not met, the theorem may not provide an accurate estimate or may not be applicable at all.