1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative of Srednicki

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    I am studying Srednicki' QFT. What I have found is that this book is very terse. And the author often leaves out most of the calculations. Most importantly, this book is written using phi-cubed theory. Can you suggest me another references written using the phi-cubed theory as I can use it as a refernece?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

I know nothing about this subject but this book by Ryder does look good. It doesn't have exercises, which may be a good thing because the author can't say see Exercise X in lieu of explaining things. And it looks to be a historically-aligned development, which should help with understanding. Is phi to the 4th similar to phi cubed? I don't know.

As a companion to your book, it may work.

4. Jun 10, 2013 #3
    I and most of the people I've talked to about this agree that the best way to learn QFT is through a combination of Zee's QFT in a Nutshell and Peskin & Schroeder. The former gives lucid explanations of what's happening conceptually, which is a huge benefit because a lot of the trouble people have learning QFT is figuring out what the heck they're even doing and why. The latter is a necessary supplement because Zee sacrifices computational detail for clarity.

5. Jun 10, 2013 #4
    Ryder, Zee and Peskin --- this trio are written in $\phi^4$ theory. I don't have any problem with the $\phi^4$ theory but my course teacher is follwing Srednicki. Srednicki is very terse and often leaves out detail discussions let alone the calculations. Srednicki is written in $\phi^3$ theory and I have tought that it would be better if I get another reference written in $\phi^3$ theory.

6. Jun 10, 2013 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted