Alternative proof of a theorem in Rudin

In summary, Rudin's theorem states that the set of subsequential limits of a sequence in a metric space is a closed subset of the space.
identity1
In Rudin, theorem 3.7 is that:

The set of subsequential limits of a sequence [itex]\{p_n\}[/itex] in a metric space X is a closed subset of X.

I tried proving this myself, and my proof came out to be similar to the one in Rudin, yet to me, simpler. I wanted to post it and ask if it seems correct.

Like in Rudin, call the set of subsequential limits of [itex]\{p_n\}[/itex] [itex]E^*[/itex]. Then if q is a limit point of [itex]E^*[/itex], we need to show it is in [itex]E^*[/itex], meaning that there is some subsequence of [itex]\{p_n\}[/itex] which converges to q. Now, for every [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex], choose some [itex]q_n\in E^*[/itex] such that [itex] d(q_n, q)<\frac{1}{n}[/itex]. This is possible since we assumed that q was a limit point of [itex]E^*[/itex].

Now, since each [itex]q_n\in E^*[/itex], this means that there is some [itex] p_{n_k}[/itex] such that [itex]d(p_{n_k}, q_n)<\frac{1}{n}[/itex] (this is from the definition of convergence). Thus, [itex]d(q, p_{n_k})\le d(q, q_n)+d(q_n, p_{n_k})<\frac{2}{n}[/itex], showing that this subsequence [itex]\{p_{n_k}\}[/itex] converges to q, proving the theorem.

I'm just curious to see if this proof is valid, since it seems to me a bit simpler than the one given in the textbook. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea here, but the way things are written currently, your 'proof' is not correct. The way you have chosen {pnk} forces it to be the constant sequence {q}, which does not work since we do not know q in E.

Could you elaborate? I only see that my construction shows that [itex] d(p_{n_1}, q)<2, d(p_{n_2}, q)<1, \ldots, d(p_{n_k}, q)<\frac{2}{k}[/itex].

Fix pnk. Then d(pnk,qm) < m-1. But since m is arbitrary, this forces pnk = q.

But that's not now I defined [itex]p_{n_k}[/itex]. Each index, [itex]n_k[/itex], corresponds to a specific n; you can't fix [itex]p_{n_k}[/itex] but then alter the index of the q in the expression like that.

identity1 said:
But that's not now I defined [itex]p_{n_k}[/itex]. Each index, [itex]n_k[/itex], corresponds to a specific n; you can't fix [itex]p_{n_k}[/itex] but then alter the index of the q in the expression like that.

Nope. In fact, nk is indexed only on k. Be more careful.

Yea, but [itex]p_{n_k}[/itex] is indexed by n and k. And in my construction, I write for each [itex]q_n[/itex] there is a [itex]p_{n_k}[/itex] for which something holds. So each [itex]p_{n_k}[/itex] explicitly corresponds to each [itex]q_n[/itex]..

If it helps you to move over that point, Rudin does the same thing in his proof as well.

One thing I did forget to write is that we choose [itex]n_k>n_{k-1}[/itex] so that the subsequence keeps moving forward (we are guaranteed to be able to do this also by the definition of convergence).

identity1 said:
Yea, but [itex]p_{n_k}[/itex] is indexed by n and k. And in my construction, I write for each [itex]q_n[/itex] there is a [itex]p_{n_k}[/itex] for which something holds. So each [itex]p_{n_k}[/itex] explicitly corresponds to each [itex]q_n[/itex]..

Wrong again! As I said before, pnk is indexed only on k. It has no correspondence with n. If you do not know this, then you need to review the definition of a subsequence.

identity1 said:
If it helps you to move over that point, Rudin does the same thing in his proof as well.

I do not have my copy of Rudin with me, but I would guess Rudin is more careful with his construction. If he does the exact same thing, then why do you think that your proof is an improvement?

OH. Wow. I should've written [itex]p_{k_n}[/itex]. My bad xP. Barring that notational slip-up, how's the proof look to you.

With that change of notation, your proof looks good to me :) Out of curiosity, how does Rudin do this proof differently?

Well, he starts by constructing [itex]p_{n_1}[/itex] similarly, and defines [itex]\delta=d(q, p_{n_1})[/itex]. Then he proceeds by induction: have having constructed [itex]p_{n_1}, \ldots, p_{n_{i-1}}[/itex], he constructs [itex]p_{n_i}[/itex] so that [itex]n_i>n_{i-1}, d(q, p_{n_i})<2^{-i}\delta[/itex]. My main point of confusion I guess, was that I wasn't sure why induction was needed. I'm still thinking about it, actually.

Actually, talking about it made me realize the answer :P

In my correction, where I realized I forgot to asset that [itex] k_n>k_{n-1}[/itex], I'm implicitly using a type of weak induction. Induction is necessary, and he does it more completely in his proof.

Related to Alternative proof of a theorem in Rudin

1. What is an alternative proof of a theorem in Rudin?

An alternative proof of a theorem in Rudin refers to a different method or approach used to prove a mathematical theorem that is originally presented in Walter Rudin's book "Principles of Mathematical Analysis". This approach may differ from the one presented in the book or may provide new insights into the theorem.

2. Why is it important to have alternative proofs of theorems in Rudin?

Having alternative proofs of theorems in Rudin allows for a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques used in mathematical analysis. It also provides a way to verify the validity and generalizability of the theorem.

3. How can one come up with an alternative proof of a theorem in Rudin?

One can come up with an alternative proof of a theorem in Rudin by using different mathematical techniques, such as induction, contradiction, or by making use of a different set of assumptions. Exploring alternative approaches can also inspire new ideas and insights.

4. Are alternative proofs of theorems in Rudin more or less rigorous than the original proofs?

The level of rigor in an alternative proof of a theorem in Rudin may vary depending on the approach used. Some alternative proofs may be more concise or elegant, while others may require additional assumptions or may be more complex. However, all proofs in mathematical analysis must meet a certain level of rigor to be considered valid.

5. Can alternative proofs of theorems in Rudin lead to new theorems?

Yes, alternative proofs of theorems in Rudin can lead to new theorems. By exploring different approaches and techniques, mathematicians may discover new connections and generalizations that can lead to the development of new theorems in mathematical analysis.