Alternative RTG Fuel: Exploring Pb210, Pu241, Ac227, Cm242, and Pm147

• Thread starter dgjxqz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fuel
In summary: Pu238 is produced by reprocessing spent fission fuel. It has a high-energetic alpha decay to a long-living daughter isotope, which makes radiation shielding easy. Pu238 is less power dense than Pu239, but with better RTG designs, this is more than compensated for. Am241 is produced by European Space Agency in an effort to satisfy the need for shorter-lived power sources. It alpha decays, so shielding is relatively easy. Production is, from what I've been told, fairly simple.
dgjxqz
I heard that Pu238 has limited production capacity.
Apart from those widely discussed, I would be curious as of why these are rarely brought up:
  • Pb210 is essentially Po210 with a longer half-life, which is more suitable for medium lifespan missions. How much Pb210 can be collected from a lead cooled reactor?
  • Pu241 is essentially Am241, but it could give a slight power boost.
  • Ac227 has a long decay chain which gives more (most?) power per atom. Any novel way for mass production?
  • Cm242 is essentially Pu238, in addition to early power boost. Is it much harder to produce Pu238 this way?
  • Pm147 has been discussed, but some sources give an unreasonably low power density (<1w/g) for its short half-life. Are they mistaken, or there is something I don't understand?

My assumption is:
  1. spent fission fuel can be reprocessed promptly,
  2. further decay of daughter isotopes contribute to total power output.

Engineering news on Phys.org
238Pu has a high-energetic alpha decay to a long-living daughter isotope (which has the same features again), that makes radiation shielding easy. Most other isotopes have beta decays or high probabilities for gamma decays in their chains.

Likes mheslep
Yeah, but 90Sr had been used and 241Am is being considered. I forgot to mention another assumption where anything close or less should be acceptable.

I believe the European Space Agency has announced they will be moving to Am-241 sources. They're less power dense, but with better RTG designs that is more than compensated for.

It's long lived, so it can support any interstellar mission. It alpha decays, so shielding is relatively easy. Production is, from what I've been told, fairly simple. I mean we produce it for smoke detectors as it is so I can't imagine up-scaling that process would be too difficult.

Apollo16 said:
It's long lived, so it can support any interstellar mission.
Any interplanetary missions. It is way too short-living to support interstellar missions unless you aim for something like Breakthrough Starshot with ~20% c.

It is produced in nuclear reactors. You cannot simply scale up the number of nuclear power plants in the world. You can extract more of this isotope out of their waste, however.

Related to Alternative RTG Fuel: Exploring Pb210, Pu241, Ac227, Cm242, and Pm147

1. What is Alternative RTG Fuel?

Alternative RTG Fuel is a type of fuel used in radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs) that utilizes radioactive isotopes such as Pb210, Pu241, Ac227, Cm242, and Pm147 instead of the traditional isotope, Plutonium-238.

2. How does Alternative RTG Fuel work?

Alternative RTG Fuel works by converting the heat produced by the radioactive decay of the isotopes into electricity. This is achieved through the use of thermocouples, which are devices that convert heat energy into electrical energy.

3. What are the benefits of using Alternative RTG Fuel?

One of the main benefits of using Alternative RTG Fuel is that it reduces the reliance on Plutonium-238, which is a scarce and expensive isotope. Additionally, Alternative RTG Fuel can potentially provide a longer lifespan and higher power output compared to traditional RTGs.

4. Are there any risks associated with Alternative RTG Fuel?

Like any radioactive material, Alternative RTG Fuel does pose some risks. However, these risks are minimized through the use of proper safety protocols and containment measures. Additionally, the use of multiple isotopes in Alternative RTG Fuel can help reduce the overall risk.

5. How is Alternative RTG Fuel being used currently?

Currently, Alternative RTG Fuel is being used primarily in deep space missions, such as the Voyager spacecraft, due to its longer lifespan and higher power output. It is also being explored for use in other applications, such as powering remote sensors and monitoring equipment.