Aluminum cylinder in alcohol

In summary, the specific gravity of the alcohol can be found by calculating the mass and average density of the alcohol, and dividing by 1000. The buoyant force in this problem is equal to the weight of the displaced alcohol, which can be determined by comparing the actual weight and apparent weight of the cylinder when submerged.
mikefitz
An aluminum cylinder weighs 1.01 N. When this same cylinder is completely submerged in alcohol, the volume of the displaced alcohol is 3.88 × 10-5 m3. The apparent weight of the cylinder when completely submerged is 0.778 N. What is the specific gravity of the alcohol?

m=W/g
m(cylinder)=.10296 kg
p=m/V
.10296kg/3.88*10^5 => 2653.608kg/m^3 (avg density)
SG= 2653.608/1000=> 2.65

What did I do wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You found the specific gravity of the cylinder, not the alcohol. Hint: Buoyant force is involved.

Doc Al,

So I can find the mass of the alcohol, then the avg density, divide by 1000 and get the alcohol's SG?

Also, how do I relate Buoyant force to this problem? Thanks again

The force applied upwards by the alcohol is equal to the weight of the displaced alcohol

Last edited:
mikefitz said:
So I can find the mass of the alcohol, then the avg density, divide by 1000 and get the alcohol's SG?
That'll work.

Also, how do I relate Buoyant force to this problem?
The buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced fluid (alcohol). You can find the buoyant force by comparing the actual weight of the cylinder to its apparent weight when submerged in the alcohol.

What is an aluminum cylinder in alcohol?

An aluminum cylinder in alcohol refers to a scientific experiment where an aluminum cylinder is placed in a container of alcohol and observed for any changes or reactions.

What is the purpose of using an aluminum cylinder in alcohol?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the reactivity of aluminum in alcohol and to observe any changes that may occur.

What are the possible reactions that may occur between aluminum and alcohol?

Aluminum can react with alcohol to produce aluminum alkoxide and hydrogen gas. This reaction is exothermic and can cause the alcohol to catch fire.

What precautions should be taken when conducting this experiment?

It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling aluminum and alcohol. The experiment should also be conducted in a well-ventilated area to prevent the build-up of flammable gases. It is also important to have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of any accidents.

What can we learn from studying the reaction between aluminum and alcohol?

Studying this reaction can help us understand the chemical properties of aluminum and how it reacts with other substances. It can also provide insights into the reactivity of different types of alcohols and the potential hazards they may pose when in contact with certain metals.