Are Kinetic Energy and Gravitational Potential Energy Inversely Proportionate?

• Thread starter JimmyRay
  • Start date
In summary, kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as one increases, the other decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the equation K + U = Et, where K represents kinetic energy, U represents gravitational potential energy, and Et represents the total energy in a system. However, this is not the same as a direct inverse proportionality, as the relationship between the two energies is dependent on other factors.
JimmyRay
Kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy are inversely proportionate to each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

If A is inversly proportional to B that means that [tex]A \propto \frac{1}{B}[/tex]

In the case of kinetic energy [tex]K[/tex] and gravitational potential energy [tex]U_g[/tex] it can be said that the total energy in a system is [tex]E_t = U_g + K[/tex]

Obviously there are numerous other forms of energy but the above case can be applied when you're dealing with gravity only.

No.
For an object in freefall, K+U=(a constant, E)... that is, K=E-U.
This, however, does not mean K=c/U, where c is a proportionality constant.

Ohh... hmm is that the only way they are related?

K + U = Et

Because I just saw that, as Kinetic energy increases gravitational potential decreases and vice versa, THAT statement is correct right? Thats why I thought inversely proportional...

thanks guys

I always think of it like accounting. Let's say I have a dollar in quarters. I give you a quarter, so now I have 75 cents, and you have 25 cents. I give you another quarter, so now we both have 50 cents. If I give you my last two quarters, you have a dollar, and I've got nothing. So you're amount increases as mine decreases, and the reverse would be true if you started handing quarters back to me, but this isn't the same as an inversely proportional relationship. It's just debit and credit from one side to the other.
Take my example with a grain of salt though - this is just my way of thinking about it. My wacky physics teacher used to say, "sometimes Mr. Potential Energy got it all and sometimes Mr. Kinetic Energy got it all!" :biggrin:

Last edited:
:smile: Thats a good way to look at it.

Related to Are Kinetic Energy and Gravitational Potential Energy Inversely Proportionate?

1. Am I correct when I say that science is only about facts?

No, science is not just about facts. It is a constantly evolving process of observation, experimentation, and analysis that leads to our understanding of the natural world. Theories and explanations in science are always subject to change as new evidence is discovered.

2. Am I correct when I say that scientists always have the answers?

No, scientists do not always have the answers. Science is a collaborative and ongoing process, and there will always be questions that remain unanswered or theories that are still being tested and refined. Additionally, different fields of science may have different levels of understanding and knowledge about a particular topic.

3. Am I correct when I say that scientific theories are proven facts?

No, scientific theories are not proven facts. They are well-supported explanations for a phenomenon based on extensive evidence and testing. However, they are always subject to revision and refinement as new evidence is gathered.

4. Am I correct when I say that science can explain everything?

No, science does not claim to have all the answers or explain everything. Science is limited to studying and understanding the natural world through empirical evidence and experimentation. It does not have the ability to explain metaphysical or supernatural phenomena.

5. Am I correct when I say that scientific findings are always objective and unbiased?

No, scientific findings can be influenced by a variety of factors, including personal biases, funding sources, and societal pressures. However, the scientific method is designed to minimize these biases and produce objective results through rigorous testing and peer review.