Balancing a Part-Time PhD in Engineering: My Journey to Becoming a Professor

• Thread starter Physics_UG
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker had previously dropped out of a PhD program due to being far from home and disliking the university atmosphere. However, they still have a desire to finish their PhD and become a professor or teach college engineering classes. They have been accepted into a program near their home and plan to take one class at a time, eventually taking on two per semester. They are unsure if this is feasible and if anyone has successfully completed a PhD while working full time in industry. The speaker is not being funded and will be paying out of pocket for the program. They have also heard of others attempting to do a PhD part-time while working in industry, but have not personally met anyone who has successfully completed it.
Physics_UG
Gold Member
So I tried a PhD program in the past on the other side of the country and got through about two semesters and dropped out. I didn't like being so far from home and I didn't like the huge university atmosphere. The class sizes were pretty large especially for grad classes.

I have since been working in industry and I am liking making some money but I really want to finish my PhD and become a professor or at least teach college engineering classes at night after work. I applied for a PhD program near my home and I was accepted. They will transfer two classes from the last PhD program I was in. I think I am going to take one class a semester a while just to get my feet wet and then I will take on maybe two a semester later on. Do you think this is feasible? Has anyone successfully done a PhD part time while working full time in industry? This is an electrical engineering PhD program. The advisor I talked to at the university said people have done it before at this university and it is definitely possible.

What do you think? Also, this school isn't all that well known in academic circles but it is close to where I work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I understand that research is difficult to do part time. I am hoping I will find an advisor willing to work around my work schedule and meet with me in the evenings if needed.

Are you being funded in this program? I do not know of programs that will actually let you just take classes slowly until you are ready for research. Engineering could be a lot different though of course.

Jorriss said:
Are you being funded in this program? I do not know of programs that will actually let you just take classes slowly until you are ready for research. Engineering could be a lot different though of course.

I am not being funded. I will be paying out of pocket until I might possibly end up a full timer. The tuition is really cheap for in state students though and I make plenty of money to pay for it.

Physics_UG said:
Has anyone successfully done a PhD part time while working full time in industry?

I know a few people in the UK who did the "research" part of their PhD full time, and then planned to write up their thesis part time while working in industry.

All of them either ran out of time (IIRC you have to complete the PhD within 7 years in the UK) or they decided the experience of actually doing the research and then starting to build a career was more valuable than getting a few signatures on the front page of a thesis that few people would ever read, and abandoned the writing up.

But that doesn't prove it can't be done, of course!

FAQ: Balancing a Part-Time PhD in Engineering: My Journey to Becoming a Professor

1. How did you balance a part-time PhD program with other responsibilities?

Balancing a part-time PhD program with other responsibilities required careful time management and prioritization. I made sure to set aside specific blocks of time each week for my research and coursework, and also communicated clearly with my family and employer about my academic commitments. It was challenging at times, but with a well-organized schedule and support from my loved ones, I was able to successfully balance my responsibilities.

2. What motivated you to pursue a PhD while working full-time?

I have always been passionate about my field of engineering and wanted to deepen my knowledge and contribute to the academic community. Pursuing a PhD while working full-time allowed me to continue gaining practical experience in my industry while also pursuing my academic goals. It was a challenging but rewarding journey, and I am grateful for the opportunity to have both a professional and academic career.

3. What was the most challenging aspect of your part-time PhD program?

The most challenging aspect of my part-time PhD program was managing my time and finding a work-life balance. It was a significant commitment to balance a full-time job, family responsibilities, and a rigorous academic program. However, I learned to prioritize my tasks and set realistic goals, which helped me stay focused and motivated throughout the program.

4. How did you stay motivated throughout your PhD journey?

Staying motivated throughout my PhD journey was a combination of setting achievable goals, maintaining a positive attitude, and seeking support from my peers and mentors. I also found it helpful to remind myself of my long-term goals and the impact my research could have on the field of engineering. Additionally, taking breaks and engaging in self-care activities helped me avoid burnout and stay motivated.

5. What advice do you have for others considering a part-time PhD program?

My advice for others considering a part-time PhD program is to be prepared for the time and energy commitment it requires. It is essential to have a strong support system in place, both personally and professionally. Additionally, be sure to choose a topic that you are passionate about and that aligns with your career goals. Finally, stay organized, communicate effectively with your supervisor and peers, and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.