Am I Doing Good? A Junior College Physics Aspirant

• Studying
  • Thread starter Mohammed Ayaz Quadri
  • Start date
In summary, the person is currently in their first year of junior college and has a passion for physics. They aspire to become a physicist and have a strong ability to solve complex numerical problems. However, they feel that they are not fast enough and struggle with understanding and naming variables in equations. They also express concern about their performance and ask for suggestions. The expert summarizer advises that success in physics is not solely based on speed and that taking time to think deeply and understand concepts is important. They also reassure that as long as the person is doing well in their classes and enjoying their studies, they are on the right track.
Mohammed Ayaz Quadri
I am in First Year Junior College (almost at its end). I literally love Physics. I want to become a Physicist. I want to be capable of explaining any phenomenon in terms of Physics. I love solving complex, interlinked numericals. I am one of the fastest one to solve them. But I feel I am not fast enough if I keep my target in mind: Physicist. I need time to think. If I am clear with concepts, my thinking should be instantaneous. Sometimes I also don't like numericals. I have problems when working with a lot of variables, in naming them and making their equations. But I am definitely fast enough according the my academic level. Am I doing good? If no, please suggest me something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohammed Ayaz Quadri said:
I need time to think. If I am clear with concepts, my thinking should be instantaneous.
I don't believe this is the case. Often when thinking is "instantaneous" it's more the result of a drilled or memorized response to a given set of conditions. The people who tend to be the most successful in physics are the ones who can view problems from different angles. They think deeply about each problem and are able to recognize the different concepts at play and apply logic to them in a formal way they can articulate.

That said, testing often rewards quick responses. So you do have to be able to arrive at answers in a timely fashion to successfully get through just about any educational system. But just because you're not arriving at them instantaneously is not a reason to believe you'll struggle or that you don't understand. What's more important is that when you do arrive at the answer, it's correct, and you know how you got it.
Sometimes I also don't like numericals. I have problems when working with a lot of variables, in naming them and making their equations. But I am definitely fast enough according the my academic level. Am I doing good? If no, please suggest me something.

Not everyone gets things immediately. If you're doing well in your classes and enjoying your studies, you're doing as well as you need to be. I think it's a common misconception that you need to be working above whatever level you're at to be successful.

Thank you sir. Thats a relief.

1. What is the best way to study for physics in junior college?

The best way to study for physics in junior college is to attend all lectures, take thorough notes, and actively engage in discussions and activities. Additionally, practice solving problems and review material regularly to reinforce understanding.

2. How can I improve my understanding of difficult physics concepts?

One way to improve understanding of difficult physics concepts is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts and relate them to real-world examples. Seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate can also be beneficial.

3. How can I prepare for exams in my junior college physics class?

To prepare for exams in your junior college physics class, create a study schedule and review material regularly. Practice solving problems and take practice exams to become familiar with the format and types of questions that may be asked.

4. How important are laboratory experiments in junior college physics?

Laboratory experiments are an essential component of learning physics. They allow students to apply theoretical concepts and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, they provide hands-on experience with equipment and techniques used in scientific research.

5. What career options are available for junior college physics graduates?

Junior college physics graduates have a variety of career options available to them. Some may choose to continue their education by pursuing a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, while others may enter the workforce in areas such as engineering, research, or education. Physics graduates also have skills that are highly valued in industries such as finance, technology, and healthcare.