Will WindowsXP Run on AMD 64bit Processors?

• Thread starter ramollari
  • Start date
In summary: Backward compatibility is one of AMD's advantages, while 64-bit registers may give AMD an edge in some applications.In summary, WindowsXP will run on the new AMD 64bit processors, but only if they are specifically made for WindowsXP and have been updated with the required drivers.
ramollari
Hey does anyone know if WindowsXP will run on the new AMD 64bit processors? After all, are AMD processors compatible with pentium (i.e. x86 processors)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Backwards compatibility of AMD 64-bit CPUs

ramollari said:
Hey does anyone know if WindowsXP will run on the new AMD 64bit processors? After all, are AMD processors compatible with pentium (i.e. x86 processors)?
AMD's 64-bit processors are backwards compatible:

• AMD64 represents a break with AMD's past behavior of following Intel's standards, but follows Intel's earlier behavior of extending the x86 architecture, from the 16-bit 8086 to the 32-bit 80386 and beyond, without ever removing backwards compatibility. The AMD64 architecture extends the 32-bit x86 architecture (IA-32) by adding 64-bit registers, with full 32-bit and 16-bit compatibility modes for earlier software.

This is why AMD managed to outmaneuver Intel in the 64-bit arena. Intel's 64 bit offering, the Itanium, is not backwards compatible with 32-bit operating systems.

This is very interesting indeed! I didn't know that AMD64bit processors are backward compatible.

hitssquad said:
AMD's 64-bit processors are backwards compatible:

• AMD64 represents a break with AMD's past behavior of following Intel's standards, but follows Intel's earlier behavior of extending the x86 architecture, from the 16-bit 8086 to the 32-bit 80386 and beyond, without ever removing backwards compatibility. The AMD64 architecture extends the 32-bit x86 architecture (IA-32) by adding 64-bit registers, with full 32-bit and 16-bit compatibility modes for earlier software.

This is why AMD managed to outmaneuver Intel in the 64-bit arena. Intel's 64 bit offering, the Itanium, is not backwards compatible with 32-bit operating systems.

Yes, the Itanium is backwards compatible with 32-bit operating systems. The implementation is messy, but it does exist.

I should rephrase and state that an x86 compatibility layer does exist. This compatibility layer does include support for 32-bit operating systems. The Itanium does have support for most of the instruction sets present on an x86, with the exclusion of SSE2. I'm not sure about the Itanium2.

I also wouldn't say that AMD "outmanuveured" Intel. Each processor has it's distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:

Related to Will WindowsXP Run on AMD 64bit Processors?

1. Can Windows XP run on AMD 64-bit processors?

Yes, it is possible for Windows XP to run on AMD 64-bit processors. However, it is not officially supported by Microsoft and may require additional drivers and modifications to work properly.

2. What are the system requirements for running Windows XP on an AMD 64-bit processor?

The minimum system requirements for Windows XP on an AMD 64-bit processor are a 64-bit processor with a speed of at least 733 MHz, 64 MB of RAM, and 1.5 GB of free hard drive space.

3. Are there any limitations to running Windows XP on an AMD 64-bit processor?

Yes, there are some limitations to running Windows XP on an AMD 64-bit processor. One major limitation is that the operating system can only utilize up to 4 GB of RAM, even if the processor can support more.

4. Can I upgrade my existing Windows XP installation to run on an AMD 64-bit processor?

No, it is not possible to upgrade an existing Windows XP installation to run on an AMD 64-bit processor. A clean installation of the 64-bit version of Windows XP is required.

5. Is it worth upgrading to Windows XP on an AMD 64-bit processor?

It depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you require more than 4 GB of RAM or need to run certain 64-bit software, then it may be worth upgrading. However, if you are satisfied with your current 32-bit version of Windows XP, there may not be a significant benefit to upgrading to the 64-bit version.