American trying to go to UK university

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in theoretical physics and mathematics and their options for studying at prestigious universities such as Cambridge, UCB, and Trinity. It is recommended to not choose a department based on one professor's reputation and to attend different schools for undergraduate and graduate studies. The speaker also asks for opinions on Trinity's facilities.
SolomonKane
I guess I'm the new kid on the boards and was wondering how difficult it would be to be taught by stephen hawking or roger penrose. I'm interested in theoretical physics and mathematics so damtp at cambridge seemed like a good choice. I am pretty sure that neither of them teaches an undergrad program so do you recommend going to the same school for undergrad and grad studies or should I try somewhere like UCB for undergrad then go to the UK for grad studies.

More:Anyone think Trinity in Dublin is a good choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about UK Universities, but I do know two important things:

First, you should never go to a department because they have one professor with a big name. Having a big name does not mean the professor is a good fit for you and what you want to research. Instead when going to grad school try to set up corrrespondence with some of the professors doing what you want to do and figure out which departments have people doing what you want to do.

Also, you should usually go to two separate places for under grad and grad school. That way you'll get two different opinions on the matter, work in two different situations etc. I know people who go to the same school and it worked well for them, but the general strategy is to go somewhere different.

~Lyuokdea

Thanks
So for undergrad do you think UCB is a good choice? I 've also heard Illinois has a good physics program.

SolomonKane said:
Thanks
So for undergrad do you think UCB is a good choice? I 've also heard Illinois has a good physics program.

they're both really good.

But you're sure that departments would not make a good choice later in my academic career?

SolomonKane said:
More:Anyone think Trinity in Dublin is a good choice?

Yes. It is a extremely good choice.

Do you think trinity has the facilities of the other universities/colleges?

1. Can an American attend a university in the UK?

Yes, it is possible for an American to attend a university in the UK. However, there are certain requirements and procedures that must be followed.

2. How do I apply to a UK university as an American?

To apply to a UK university as an American, you will need to research and choose the universities and programs you are interested in, and then follow the application process outlined by each individual university. This may include submitting standardized test scores, transcripts, and personal statements.

3. Do I need a student visa to study in the UK as an American?

Yes, as an American, you will need to obtain a student visa in order to study in the UK. This process can take several months, so it is important to start the application process early.

4. Are there any cultural differences I should be aware of as an American attending a UK university?

Yes, there may be cultural differences between the US and UK that you should be aware of when attending a UK university. These may include differences in classroom etiquette, social norms, and food and cultural traditions.

5. Can I receive financial aid or scholarships to attend a UK university as an American?

It is possible to receive financial aid or scholarships to attend a UK university as an American, but this will depend on the specific university and program you are applying to. It is important to research and inquire about financial aid options early in the application process.