Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Americans are all raccoons!

1. Dec 16, 2006 #1
    They eat anything! Why, o why does this place have such awful taste, I can't even go out for lunch, it's all crisco-fried this, and 3,500g portons of that, or bird entrails served in rolled-up newspaper, or reprocessed garbage (served to 'over 99 billion'). And even if you should find a vegetable somewhere, chances are it's some shrivelled-up mess found sprouting in a gutter somewhere, then stored in a freezer for three years.

It makes it extremely difficult to travel domestically here; eating out is a perilous, exciting adventure. There goes $3 on what was falsely labeled a "fruit smoothie"; it's not fruit, it's 58g of sugar in the form of high-fructose corn syrup. :yuck: Disgusting! And then the $6 that went for a "breakfast"; e.g., "crepes", fried in some revolting concotion of vegetable oil, still glistening on the surface. (The single-person order being big enough to feed a family of six, I add.) Or the atrocities that pass for the "complemantary" breakfast at this hotel ("complement"ary, my foot!). My stomache is churning as I write this rant...

I'm going to great lengths to avoid anything remotely American in cusine, and I'm still tripping up. Even the most innocent-sounding things ("fruit smoothies") are toxin-laden emetics. Even most ethnic restaurants re-arranged their recipies to cater to the sodium-craving, grease-coated palate (such as the tasteless, triple-salted "miso", in 750ml serving size.) I'd like to admit defeat and eat nothing but fresh produce - but I can't find that! No one eats fresh fruit in America; the best you can do is the rare, undersized, overripe, tasteless apple. I bet most Americans don't even know what a real apple tastes like.

Thank God for the first-generation immigrants and their tiny, unprofitable ethnic diners.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are likely never more than a mile or two from a grocery store. There you will fiind amazing volumes of anything that you could want. But if you go to crap restaurants for food, that's what you'll get.

4. Dec 16, 2006 #3
    You mean these "convenience" stores? Why would I go there, there's fresher vegetable matter in the alley dumpsters.

5. Dec 16, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fine. You're probably within a mile or two of an alley dumpster too. :tongue:

6. Dec 16, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know what a supermarket is?

7. Dec 16, 2006 #6
    My point is not that I'm incapable of finding edible food in this city (I'm alive, aren't I?); it's that this anti-cuisine of grease permeates the culture so thoroughly, that it takes significant effort to avoid it. I mean come on, since when do fruit drinks contain 58g of high-fructose corn syrup? (Please don't answer that.)

8. Dec 16, 2006 #7
    Yes. They keep me alive, when I am in a position to cook for myself. You know, access to a stove, all that.

I'm travelling at the moment, and I'm suddenly discovering the amazing world of American.

9. Dec 16, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I hardly ever eat any of it. This is true for many people. If you know an area you can usually find places that serve good food, but around hotels and such they cater to the fast food and business crowd.

10. Dec 16, 2006 #9
    I have no idea what city your in where you can't find a good meal. I've never had that problem, and I've been in every state. I almost always ask people who live local, where the best place to eat is. The tips have me off the beaten path, to some wonderful places.

11. Dec 16, 2006 #10
    I can; it's just taken too much trial-and-error.

Just let me enjoy my bitter ranting, please? :biggrin:

12. Dec 16, 2006 #11
    Dumpster fruit smoothies are good for you.

13. Dec 16, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fair enough. Besides, my milkshake and nachos are ready.

14. Dec 16, 2006 #13
    Back to my whining; why on earth does anyone eat this stuff? Are people going crazy? Am I going crazy?

15. Dec 16, 2006 #14
    Funny statement coming from a username containing "Pancreas". :rolleyes:

16. Dec 16, 2006 #15
    Lol, you could always run down to the supermarket, buy some wraps, tomatoes, lettuce, some nice cheese. mmmm, no stove necessary, and I am getting hungry just thinking about it.

17. Dec 16, 2006 #16
    Perhaps you have enemies so bitter they seek to poison you. No matter; you're outdoing them.

18. Dec 16, 2006 #17

lol enjoy!:rofl:

19. Dec 16, 2006 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cheeseburger > all. (except maybe bacon cheeseburger) And pizza has all of the necessary food groups. I don't see why anyone would eat anything else!

20. Dec 16, 2006 #19

turbo

Gold Member

No, real stores that real people buy their food from. It is possible to eat healthy and satisfying food almost anywhere in the US, but not if you settle for the "lowest common denominator". That is a recipe for crap.

21. Dec 17, 2006 #20
    I understand what you mean Rach, even over here, everything is caked in sugar and grease. Even when you go to the supermarket and actually look at labels you will find that the things you thought were healthy actually contain way too much sugar. For instence fruit juice that says "no sugar added" just means that if the fruit was imported no sugar was added when it arrived here and was packaged

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?