1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AMGM(n) help

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://math.stanford.edu/~vakil/putnam07/07putnam1.pdf

Can someone help me with problem 8 part b?

I plugged that in to AMGM(n) and the LHS easily transforms into the LHS of AMGM(n-1) but I am not sure how the RHS transforms to the RHS of AMGM(n-1). Specifically, what happens to the exponent?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2
    This is the famous Cauchy proof of Am-Gm. Post what you dd so far.

4. Nov 17, 2007 #3
    Again, I plugged in the hint to AMGM(n) and the LHS easily transforms into the LHS of AMGM(n-1).

So I have the LHS of AMGN(n-1) is greater than or equal to [tex](\frac{a_1...a_{n-1} (a_1+...+a{n-1})}{(n-1)})^{1/n}[/tex]

and I do not know where to go from there.

5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Work with
    [tex]\left( \frac{\sum a_i}{n} \right)^n \geq \prod a_i[/tex]
    instead.

Keep an eye on the possibility of canceling something convenient off both sides after you apply the hint.

6. Nov 18, 2007 #5
    After I apply the hint, it looks like this:

[tex]\left( \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i}{n-1} \right)^n \geq 1/(n-1)\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i[/tex]

which is the same as

[tex]\left( \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i}{n-1} \right)^{n-1} \geq \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i[/tex]

because everything is nonnegative.

On to part c).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  7. Nov 18, 2007 #6
    And of course I got stuck on part c) as well. I tried doing something similar like letting a_i = a_i + a_{n+i} or a_i = a_i *a_{i+n} but that only works for one side at a time. I tried to do the case k=2 "by hand" but there is the (a_1 +a_2+a_3+a_4)^4 part that is prohibitive. And I tried other stuff that was just as bad. So I am out of ideas.

8. Nov 18, 2007 #7

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here, let's assume k=2 holds and show k=4.

[tex](a_1 a_2 b_1 b_2)^{1/4} = \left( (a_1 a_2)^{1/2} (b_1 b_2)^{1/2} \right)^{1/2} \leq \frac{(a_1 a_2)^{1/2} + (b_1 b_2)^{1/2}}{2} [/tex]

Can you take it from here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?