AMGM(n): Solving Problem 8 Part B

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses problem 8 part b from a homework assignment, focusing on the Cauchy proof of AM-GM. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem, using hints and working with equations. The final part of the conversation discusses part c) of the problem and suggests a possible solution.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

http://math.stanford.edu/~vakil/putnam07/07putnam1.pdf

Can someone help me with problem 8 part b?

I plugged that into AMGM(n) and the LHS easily transforms into the LHS of AMGM(n-1) but I am not sure how the RHS transforms to the RHS of AMGM(n-1). Specifically, what happens to the exponent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the famous Cauchy proof of Am-Gm. Post what you dd so far.

Again, I plugged in the hint to AMGM(n) and the LHS easily transforms into the LHS of AMGM(n-1).

So I have the LHS of AMGN(n-1) is greater than or equal to [tex](\frac{a_1...a_{n-1} (a_1+...+a{n-1})}{(n-1)})^{1/n}[/tex]

and I do not know where to go from there.

Work with
[tex]\left( \frac{\sum a_i}{n} \right)^n \geq \prod a_i[/tex]
instead.

Keep an eye on the possibility of canceling something convenient off both sides after you apply the hint.

After I apply the hint, it looks like this:

[tex]\left( \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i}{n-1} \right)^n \geq 1/(n-1)\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i[/tex]

which is the same as

[tex]\left( \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i}{n-1} \right)^{n-1} \geq \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i[/tex]

because everything is nonnegative.

On to part c).

Last edited:
And of course I got stuck on part c) as well. I tried doing something similar like letting a_i = a_i + a_{n+i} or a_i = a_i *a_{i+n} but that only works for one side at a time. I tried to do the case k=2 "by hand" but there is the (a_1 +a_2+a_3+a_4)^4 part that is prohibitive. And I tried other stuff that was just as bad. So I am out of ideas.

Here, let's assume k=2 holds and show k=4.

[tex](a_1 a_2 b_1 b_2)^{1/4} = \left( (a_1 a_2)^{1/2} (b_1 b_2)^{1/2} \right)^{1/2} \leq \frac{(a_1 a_2)^{1/2} + (b_1 b_2)^{1/2}}{2} [/tex]

Can you take it from here?

1. What is AMGM(n)?

AMGM(n) stands for Arithmetic Mean - Geometric Mean (n), which is a mathematical formula used to find the average of a set of numbers. It is commonly used in solving optimization problems in mathematics and science.

2. How is AMGM(n) used to solve Problem 8 Part B?

In Problem 8 Part B, AMGM(n) is used to find the maximum possible value of a function subject to certain constraints. By setting up the function using AMGM(n) and applying the constraints, the optimum value can be determined.

3. What are the benefits of using AMGM(n) in problem-solving?

AMGM(n) is a powerful tool in optimization problems because it simplifies complex mathematical expressions and helps to find the best solution. It also provides a systematic approach to problem-solving and can be applied to various types of problems.

4. Is AMGM(n) the only method for solving Problem 8 Part B?

No, there are other methods for solving optimization problems, such as Lagrange multipliers and calculus-based techniques. However, AMGM(n) is often preferred because it is relatively simple and can be used for a wide range of optimization problems.

5. Can AMGM(n) be applied in other fields besides mathematics and science?

Yes, AMGM(n) can be used in various fields, including economics, engineering, and statistics. It is a general optimization technique that can be applied in any situation where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.