Amino acid biosynthesis from CAC intermediates

• Thread starter Jikx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving the conversion of furamate and citrate into amino acids using a transaminase. Despite using a liver homogenase with alanine as the amino-donor, the desired conversion does not occur. The individual eventually discovers that citrate is converted to oxaloacetate and then undergoes a transamination reaction to become aspartate, while furamate is converted to a-ketoglutarate and then becomes glutamate. The individual notes that they often overlook simple solutions.
Jikx
Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble with an experiment. It involves converting furamate and citrate into amino-acids using a transaminase. We are using a liver homogenase, with the amino-donor being alanine.

However, whatever resource i use, furamate/citrate is not converted into an animo-acid!

Any suggestions? THANKS!

(my experiment failed, but I still to write up the discussion!)

Biology news on Phys.org
I worked it out.. kind of.

Citrate is converted to oxaloacetate (via CAC), then undergoes a transamination reaction to Aspartate.

Furamate is converted to a-ketoglutarate (also via CAC), then becomes Glutamate.

Its just a curse with me... always ignore the simplest answer because its too simple.

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that your experiment did not go as planned. Amino acid biosynthesis from CAC intermediates is a complex process and can be affected by many factors. It is possible that there were some issues with the experimental setup or the conditions in which the reactions were carried out. It would be helpful to provide more details about the experiment, such as the specific protocol and conditions used, in order to better understand the issue and provide suggestions for improvement. Additionally, it may be beneficial to consult with a mentor or colleague who has experience with similar experiments to troubleshoot and identify potential sources of error. It is important to thoroughly discuss any unexpected results and potential sources of error in your write-up to accurately reflect the findings of the experiment. I wish you the best of luck in your future experiments.

1. What is the role of the citric acid cycle (CAC) in amino acid biosynthesis?

The citric acid cycle, also known as the Krebs cycle, is a series of chemical reactions that take place in the mitochondria of cells. It plays a crucial role in the production of energy in the form of ATP, but it also serves as a source of intermediates for the biosynthesis of amino acids.

2. Which amino acids are synthesized from CAC intermediates?

The majority of amino acids are synthesized from intermediates of the citric acid cycle. These include aspartate, asparagine, glutamate, glutamine, alanine, serine, glycine, cysteine, and proline.

3. How are CAC intermediates converted into amino acids?

The conversion of CAC intermediates into amino acids involves a series of enzymatic reactions. For example, alpha-ketoglutarate is converted into glutamate through the action of the enzyme glutamate dehydrogenase. Glutamate is then further converted into other amino acids through the addition of specific functional groups.

4. What is the significance of amino acid biosynthesis from CAC intermediates?

Amino acid biosynthesis from CAC intermediates is essential for the maintenance of cellular homeostasis. It ensures a steady supply of amino acids for protein synthesis and other important cellular processes. It also allows cells to adapt to changing environmental conditions by producing specific amino acids as needed.

5. Can amino acids be synthesized from sources other than CAC intermediates?

Yes, amino acids can also be synthesized from other sources such as sugars and fatty acids. However, the biosynthesis of amino acids from CAC intermediates is the most efficient and common pathway in most organisms.