Ammonia Rankine cycle heat engine calculation

• Thread starter Biodelta
  • Start date
Biodelta
Homework Statement:
A Rankine Cycle heat engine uses ammonia as a working fluid, turbine entry temperature is 25 Bar at 60 degrees Celsius.

The turbine outlet pressure is 4 Bar, the question is: what is the outlet temperature? and if the output power is 6 Gigawatt (6x10^9 watt) what would the mass flow rate of the ammonia need to be for 6 Gigawatt? output
Relevant Equations:
U = Q-W
A Rankine Cycle heat engine uses ammonia as a working fluid, turbine entry temperature is 25 Bar at 60 degrees Celsius.

The turbine outlet pressure is 4 Bar, the question is: what is the outlet temperature? and if the output power is 6 Gigawatt (6x10^9 watt) what would the mass flow rate of the ammonia need to be for 6 Gigawatt? output

Answers and Replies

What are your thoughts on this so far? What other information/data do you have available? Do you really feel that the Relevant Equation that you listed is the correct one to use?

Biodelta
My first approach to solving this has been to use: H'mmm cut and paste from word does not work, I will create a PDF and send that, Regards Stuart, back in a few hours

Biodelta
Hello, Attached is my solution which I am looking for confirmation of, it is in PDF attachment.
Thanks for considering this matter.
Regards
Stuart

Attachments

• Physics Forum Question.pdf
    163.2 KB · Views: 171
Did you not have access to thermodynamic tables on ammonia (analogous to the steam tables) or to a pressure-enthalpy diagram for ammonia like this one: http://industrialheatpumps.nl/en/how_it_works/thermodynamic_cycle/

Biodelta
Thanks for that, I am a 67 year old retiree / inventor, and just wanted to get a few questions answered, I am not a student except for a few ideas I have. So my real question is how did the calculation stack up? is it valid? I am just looking at plug and play for this. I am also prepared to pay for a professional opinion.
Cheers
Stuart

Thanks for that, I am a 67 year old retiree / inventor, and just wanted to get a few questions answered, I am not a student except for a few ideas I have. So my real question is how did the calculation stack up? is it valid? I am just looking at plug and play for this. I am also prepared to pay for a professional opinion.
Cheers
Stuart
The p-H diagram shows that some of the ammonia will condense in the turbine. So your analysis is not correct. You can get your answer however using the p-H diagram.

Suggested for: Ammonia Rankine cycle heat engine calculation

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views