How Much Gas Can Water Really Hold?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the average amount of dissolved gases in water, including oxygen, nitrogen, and CO2. The specific numbers vary based on factors such as temperature and pressure, but Henry's constant can be used to calculate typical concentrations for oxygen and nitrogen. However, calculating CO2 concentrations is more complex due to its dependence on solution pH and other acid/base concentrations.
Woogies
First off, Greetings everyone!

I realize this is a pretty broad question, considering these numbers will vary with temperature, pressure and etc. But I was hoping someone could me a average number just so I can get a good idea.

I'm trying to find out the amounts of dissolved gases are in Water (Both salt and fresh). For example the usual amount of dissolved oxygen is 5-7ppm. I know that the ocean contains CO2, Nitrogen and many other gases from the atmosphere. Does anyone have average number for these gases? Like I said, just trying to get an idea here

Cheers!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For oxygen and nitrogen you should be able to google values of Henry's constant and calculate typical dissolved gas concentrations from Henry's law. For CO2 it is much more complicated, as it depends on the solution pH and on the concentrations of other acids/bases already present.

What are the main sources of dissolved gases in water?

The main sources of dissolved gases in water are the atmosphere, groundwater, and biological processes. Gases from the atmosphere can dissolve in water through physical processes such as diffusion and wind action. Groundwater can also contain dissolved gases from the surrounding soil and rocks. Biological processes, such as photosynthesis and respiration, can also contribute to the amount of dissolved gases in water.

Why is the amount of dissolved gases in water important?

The amount of dissolved gases in water is important because it affects the physical, chemical, and biological properties of water. Gases such as oxygen and carbon dioxide are essential for aquatic life, while other gases such as methane can be harmful to the environment. The amount of dissolved gases can also indicate the health of a water body and can impact its ability to support different types of aquatic organisms.

How does temperature affect the amount of dissolved gases in water?

Temperature plays a significant role in the amount of dissolved gases in water. As temperature increases, the solubility of gases decreases, causing them to be released from the water into the atmosphere. This is why bodies of water tend to have lower levels of dissolved gases in warmer temperatures. Conversely, colder temperatures can increase the solubility of gases, resulting in higher levels of dissolved gases in water.

What factors can affect the solubility of gases in water?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can affect the solubility of gases in water include pressure, salinity, and the composition of the gas mixture. Higher pressures can increase the solubility of gases, while salinity can decrease the solubility of some gases. The composition of the gas mixture, such as the ratio of different gases, can also impact their solubility in water.

How can the amount of dissolved gases in water be measured?

The amount of dissolved gases in water can be measured using various methods, including gas chromatography, spectrophotometry, and titration. These methods involve collecting a water sample and analyzing it in a laboratory to determine the concentration of different dissolved gases. In situ sensors and meters can also be used to measure the amount of dissolved gases in real-time, providing more immediate and continuous data.