1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amount of Set Theory Required to Study Logic

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    Amount of Set Theory "Required" to Study Logic

Hello,
    I have been self-studying set theory to try and get into logic. The book I bought is published by Dover (I love how cheap their books are) entitled Set Theory and Logic by Robert Stoll. I have gone over the basic set theory section involving union, intersection, inclusion...basically the algebra of sets...and into ordered sets and types of relations. The thing is now the book is going into what makes a number system, which I already have a basic understanding of, however the book goes into it MUCH deeper (perhaps more for the mathematician reading the book than an engineer). Any who, I flipped through to the beginning of the logic section and saw that it mainly seems to rely on the basic set theory which I already know. This may be due to my lack of knowledge on logic, but would the general population consider an understanding of basic set theory enough to dive into learning logic?
    Thank you (Hopefully, I placed this in the right forum)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If set theory doesn't interest you very much, then I suggest diving into logic immediately. It might happen that they start to talk about something that you haven't learned yet, but then you can always go back in the book and study it.

If you want to know exactly how much set theory you need for logic, then you will need to tell us the topics that your logic book covers. Some logic books require quite a lot of set theory (but those books are usually not introductory).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook