1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ampere's law with current loop

1. Dec 13, 2015 #1
    Is it possible to find the magnetic field on the axis above a current loop using Ampere's law? I was thinking you could treat an infinitesimal piece of the loop as a straight wire and draw a circle around it with radius sqrt(a^2 + z^2), with a=radius of current loop and z=position of point of interest, and take the integral of B around the big circle, then multiply by 2*pi*a*cos(theta) to get the full contribution in the right direction. I tried doing this but it doesn't work. Is there a reason I can't use Ampere's law for a circular current loop? In general, do we have to use Biot-Savart for this configuration, or is there some way to use Ampere?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

Yes, in general you have to use B-S to find the B-field at some specific location, because the circulation integral in Amperes law only speaks about the mean value of the H-field, following some circulation path.

However there are exceptions. For example you can calculate the H-field in the middle of an infinit long solenoid, by choosing a "smart" circulation path:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/112155/using-amperes-law-for-a-solenoid

And of course you can also find the H-field in a toroid due to the symmetry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook