Solving Ampere's Law Homework with Curve C

In summary: So if a current does not pass through C, then we should choose a surface that does not enclose any current. This will make the circulation of B along the curve C equal to 0.
saubhik

Homework Statement

In Ampere's Law, we consider an amperian loop (suppose a curve C), and any surface with boundary C can be chosen.
1.If the circulation of B is zero along the curve. Does this directly imply B=0 at points on the curve C?

2.Also in some cases there may be surfaces with boundary C through which a current can penetrate while through others not. Which surface will we take?

Homework Equations

[tex]
\oint \vec{B} \cdot \vec{dr} = \mu_0 \ I_{enclosed}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1.I don't think so since the B-field can be perpendicular to the points of C and thus even if B is present the circulation comes 0. However, if in a problem we have to show that B at a point is 0, how can we do it using Ampere's Law?

2. I think that if a current does not pass through the boundary C, we should take enclosed current=0. Only a current passing through C and penetrating S should be taken into account.(I think)

Please help.Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
saubhik said:
2.Also in some cases there may be surfaces with boundary C through which a current can penetrate while through others not. Which surface will we take?

The Attempt at a Solution

2. I think that if a current does not pass through the boundary C, we should take enclosed current=0. Only a current passing through C and penetrating S should be taken into account.(I think)

Please help.Thanks
This does not answer the second question.

If there's a choice? Which surface should you take?

SammyS said:
This does not answer the second question.

If there's a choice? Which surface should you take?

If a current does pass through a curve C (we are dealing with magnetostatics so no question of any change in electric fields) then it must also penetrate through surface S.
But my problem is: what if a current does not pass through C but penetrates S? Clearly there's a B-field at all points on the loop, but [tex] I_{enclosed}=0 [/tex], so that circulation comes 0.

Here, S is any surface with boundary C.

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It states that the magnetic field created by an electric current is proportional to the current and the distance from the current.

2. What is the purpose of solving Ampere's Law homework with Curve C?

The purpose of solving Ampere's Law homework with Curve C is to calculate the magnetic field at a given point in space due to a current-carrying wire or other current distribution. This can help in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their effects on various objects.

3. How do you use Curve C in solving Ampere's Law homework?

In solving Ampere's Law homework, Curve C is used as a closed loop path around the current-carrying wire or current distribution. The path must be chosen such that it encloses the entire current and follows the direction of the current flow. The magnetic field at a point along Curve C can then be calculated using the equation B = μ0 * I / 2π * r, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current enclosed by Curve C, and r is the distance from the wire to the point on Curve C.

4. What is the significance of choosing the right path when using Ampere's Law?

The path chosen when using Ampere's Law is crucial because the value of the magnetic field depends on the current enclosed by the path. If the path does not enclose the entire current or follows the wrong direction of current flow, the calculated magnetic field will be incorrect. Therefore, it is important to choose the right path to accurately solve Ampere's Law problems.

5. Can Ampere's Law be used to calculate the magnetic field for any current distribution?

Yes, Ampere's Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field for any current distribution, as long as the path chosen encloses the entire current and follows the direction of current flow. However, it is easier to use Ampere's Law for simple and symmetric current distributions, as more complex distributions may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.