Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Alternative to Guns

1. Jun 28, 2004 #1
    Those who use firearms as a self-defense tool for their house, car or store should really consider one of these instead.

It's a safe, less barbaric and cheaper way to defend yourself. Plus, it'll get you in less trouble with the law (for blasting someone with bullets) and less guilt.

I think that those devices further push the point that guns are unnecessary outside of the police/FBI or military.

And for the majority of the people who buy guns and claim they're for hunting - no you didn't.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Am I the only to think that the E2D Executive Defender look like a lightsaber?

I think I watch Star Wars too many time and know too much about the details.
  4. Jun 28, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is that a would-be attacker is likely carrying a more dangerous weapon than a flashlight with delusions of grandeur.

- Warren
  5. Jun 28, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus

At first glance I thought it was one of those shoulder surface to air heat seeking missile rocket launchers, but on closer inspection it was just a really bright flashlight.
  6. Jun 28, 2004 #5
    1) Common safety recommendations for guns in the house include having the weapon unloaded and locked away, with the bullets in a separate location. Thus it is useless for defence, unless you plan to ask the intruder to wait while you go prepare your weapon.

2) Ignoring 1 and having a loaded, quickly accessible gun is what leads to Junior the one-year-old shooting Dad in the face with the shotgun.

3) People who have guns in the home "for defence" tend to shoot their own kids coming home late at night.

4) The torch is just going to annoy the intruder.

5) Buy some geese, they're harder to disarm than electronic systems.
  7. Jun 28, 2004 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2004
  8. Jun 28, 2004 #7

Shining a bright light in an attackers face will not prevent him from firing at you. So get a real weapon, or hope the attacker will be merciful.

As for this:

Except for the many gun owners who do buy guns and use them exclusively for hunting. :uhh:
  9. Jun 28, 2004 #8
    It does. It would look even closer if it was silver coloured.

If it blinds them, it'll make a huge difference.

Surefire claims that the CIA, Law enforcement use it.
  10. Jun 28, 2004 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And well they deserve it, those little rapscallions! :wink:

Seriously, while I don't advocate guns for "self-defense" because they either aren't where you need them when you need them, or they get into the hands of the toddler, I also don't think shining a bright light in someone's face is going to deter them from shooting you, just hinder their aim a bit...they'll still be aiming into the bright light!

Then again, I had a rather crazy grandfather who got tired of their house getting robbed every year (my grandparents would spend the winters in Florida and their summer house would always get robbed while they were away for such a long time), so left the blinds open on the windows and a clear view of the rifles rigged up with strings between the doors and triggers. He left one entrance unrigged so my dad could get in and water the plants. Needless to say, Dad removed all the rifles (none were loaded) and put them away so nobody would steal the rifles. The following year, my grandmother took a more sane approach...she left notes in every drawer in the house for the robbers, telling them not to bother because everything of value had already been stolen or taken with them. It worked! The house was broken into, but nothing taken, and the cops were just rolling with laughter when they found just one dresser drawer open and the note sitting on top.
  11. Jun 28, 2004 #10
  12. Jun 28, 2004 #11
    Has anyone watched Hitchcock's Rear Window? Jeffries got away from the bad guy by flashing a bright light (I think it was the camera flash) into his eyes. If it works in the movies, I don't think it is going to work in real life. ;)
  13. Jun 28, 2004 #12
    The flashlight was built to temporarily blind someone. It's not a camera, or an everyday flash-light.
  14. Jun 28, 2004 #13

Reminds me of a similar thread about non lethal weapons, ie. stun devices. Nice idea, but today there is really no such weapon that even comes close to being a match for a gun. Hey, maybe if the "bad guys" didn't have guns, blinding lights, stuns guns and pepper spray would be much more useful.
  15. Jun 29, 2004 #14
    While i think the 3 million candlepower bulb might work, that little glorified flashlight doesn't make me feel real safe. I prefer the spartan solution:

1. You broke into my home, and are thus implicitly threatening the safety of myself and my family. Your life is forfeit, their lives are more important than yours or mine.

2. I pump the 12 gauge.

3. You've got to the count of 3 to be on the ground, or i assume you have deadly intent and means. You get 1 verbal warning, and a verbal count.

4. If you have not complied, you're dead.
  16. Jun 29, 2004 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should never pull a gun on a person unless you have an intent to use it immediately. Ideally, the person you're shooting should not realize you're armed until you've fired. Any kind of "warning" is just putting yourself in enormous danger.

- Warren
  17. Jun 29, 2004 #16

Indeed, although the general idea of alerting them to the pumping of a twelve gauge is to scare them into submission. Mind you, i'd prefer not shoot the person unnecessarily. More than willing to use it if necessary, but would prefer not to. Also, from the time the gun is loaded i will fire if i see any action that could be interpreted as even potentially hostile.

And as for the person who posted the link to that flashlight originally i really hope you are never responsible for the safety or protection of any other human being in any circumstance.
  18. Jun 29, 2004 #17
    The purpose of the Flashlight is home self-defense.

I'm sorry if I choose not to put bullets into other people.

If you want to shoot someone, join the war. Guns shouldn't be in civilian hands.
  19. Jun 29, 2004 #18

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the time you've finished pumping your 12 gauge, any well-prepared attacker will already have killed you. Trust me, you're not going to scare an attacker into submission; you're going to provoke them into killing you as fast as possible.

- Warren
  20. Jun 29, 2004 #19
    The purpose of the flashlight is to keep oneself from tripping in the dark.

Someone coming in specifically to kill, then yes that risk becomes obvious. Some idiot coming in looking for stereos however is not a well-prepared attacker. However this may be my suburban bias, where the worst personal crime i seriously have to worry about are idiot teenagers too high to find their own hands with Dagenais's flashlight. And they live right next door unfortunately.
  21. Jun 29, 2004 #20
    Just wondering...how do you know all of this? :confused:

But yeah, if a robber has the intent to kill you, he's not going to be intimidated. Just more reason to shoot first.

Different type of flashlight. It was mentioned in the link and in this thread. Not that hard to get.

I don't use that flashlight. I use the police officers living next to me, and across from me.

Your shot-gun is necessary to subdue 'high' teenagers?

According to you, you'll warn them before shooting. However, you claim that they can't even find their own hands since they are "out of their mind."

You say if they aren't on the floor, following your instructions - you'll shoot.

I guess a couple of teenagers just lost their lives. Congratulations, you have just killed your adolescent neighbor!

Quoted from a popular movie, "Guns take you to a place you don't want to go."

1. Jail
    2. Court
    3. War
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?