An Artinian integral domain is a field

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that an Artinian integral domain is a field. It explains the use of sequences and the ability to cancel non-zero terms in an integral domain. It concludes that any non-zero element in an Artinian integral domain is a unit.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that an Artinian integral domain is a field.

Let $R$ be an Artinian integral domain and $a\in R$ with $a\neq 0$.
Can we take then the sequence $(a)\supseteq (a)^2\supseteq (a^3)\supseteq \dots $ ? (Wondering)

Since $R$ is an Artinian integral domain we have that $\exists k\in R$ such that $(a^k)=(a^{k+1})$, i.e., $a^k\in (a^k)=(a^{k+1})\Rightarrow a^k=a^{k+1}m$ for some $m\in R$.
We have that $a^k=a^{k+1}m\Rightarrow a^k=a^k\cdot a\cdot m \Rightarrow a^k\cdot 1=a^k\cdot (a\cdot m)$.
Since $a\neq 0$, we have that $a^n\neq 0$ since $R$ is an integral domain, right? (Wondering)
Do we conclude from the last equation that $1=a\cdot m$ ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
In an integral domain, if:

$ar = as$ for $a \neq 0$, then we have:

$a(r - s) = 0$, and since $a \neq 0$, we must have $r - s = 0$, that is: $r = s$.

So, yes (we can "cancel" non-zero terms on each side of an equation).

Deveno said:
In an integral domain, if:

$ar = as$ for $a \neq 0$, then we have:

$a(r - s) = 0$, and since $a \neq 0$, we must have $r - s = 0$, that is: $r = s$.

So, yes (we can "cancel" non-zero terms on each side of an equation).

Ah ok... I see... (Nod)
mathmari said:
Let $R$ be an Artinian integral domain and $a\in R$ with $a\neq 0$.
Can we take then the sequence $(a)\supseteq (a)^2\supseteq (a^3)\supseteq \dots $ ? (Wondering)

Can we just take this sequence? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ah ok... I see... (Nod)

Can we just take this sequence? (Wondering)

Sure, and then your derivation of:

$a^k \cdot 1_R = a^k (am)$, shows that any $a \neq 0$ is a unit.

Thanks a lot! (flower)

1. What is an Artinian integral domain?

An Artinian integral domain is a commutative ring with unity in which every nonzero ideal is a finite direct sum of simple ideals. This means that every element in the ring can be uniquely factored into a product of irreducible elements.

2. What does it mean for an integral domain to be Artinian?

An Artinian integral domain is a ring that satisfies the descending chain condition for ideals. This means that there is no infinite chain of ideals (I1 ⊃ I2 ⊃ I3 ⊃ ...) in the ring, where each ideal is a proper subset of the previous one.

3. Why is an Artinian integral domain important?

An Artinian integral domain is important because it has many useful properties, such as being a Noetherian ring (meaning every ideal can be generated by a finite number of elements) and having unique factorization of elements into irreducible elements. Additionally, every Artinian integral domain is also a commutative ring with unity, making it a useful tool in algebraic constructions.

4. How is an Artinian integral domain related to fields?

An Artinian integral domain is a field if and only if it has only two ideals: the zero ideal and the entire ring. This means that every nonzero element in the ring has a multiplicative inverse, making it a division ring. In the case of commutative rings, a division ring is also a field.

5. Can an Artinian integral domain be finite?

Yes, an Artinian integral domain can be finite. In fact, every finite integral domain is Artinian. This is because there are only a finite number of ideals in a finite ring, so the descending chain condition automatically holds. However, not all Artinian integral domains are finite, as there are infinite examples such as the ring of polynomials in one variable over a field.