1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An easier Alternative to Clayden organic chemistry?

1. Jun 10, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    I've red the first 4 chapters in Clayden Organic chemistry, and I gotta admit I find the first chapters on NMR and Orbital theory lacking in explanation and figures. I don't feel like i have a clear understanding of the concept after reading these chapters because they seem to assume knowledge and not give direct methods (explaining the logic of how to work out the problems), so I'm wondering, Will it keep being like this the next many chapters? Or is it just the beginning that's a bit rough?

I'm afraid that If i can't understand the molecular Orbital theory, then I won't understand the rest of the book, since bonding is explained from Hybridization and molecular orbital.
    I've considered David Kleins Organic chemistry, and perhaps Chemistry³: Introducing Inorganic, Organic, and Physical Chemistry

How do my suggestions sound? Any other suggestions? I'm first year into university studying nutrition but wan't to understand organic chemistry better.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2014 #2

Lok

4. Jun 11, 2014 #3
    Thank you. Did you read a textbook for this course? Or do his explanations suffice for understanding his points?

5. Jun 11, 2014 #4

Lok

The books I've read are outdated by more than 30 years and none of the above mentioned, and while they scratched the surface on MOT they were not detailed about it.

I did try some current PDF versions, none memorable.
    Lately I prefer watching courses over books as they are usually better structured and they insist o repeating the recurring stuff everywhere it is needed. And I can listen to them while working on another screen.

And yes the explanations, experiments, physical proofs and demonstrations suffice IMO for understanding the fundamentals of MO. For more you can go back to the textbook and exercise the predictive part of MOT.

I did follow the Courses only until Functional groups (20 or so courses) as the Physics part was more interesting to me than outright chemistry (which I will probably never really use).

I know it is not ideal and you cannot ask questions but it is quite good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted