1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Epsilon-delta Proof

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    Hey there everyone. I was looking at an epsilon-delta proof I did and realized that I wasn't exactly sure why one of my statements was true:

[​IMG]

On the third last line, why is it fine to assume that .5 | x - 4 | < e is true? Isn't there a chance that .5 | x - 4 | may be greater than e?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Hmm, wonder why the IMG tags don't work ...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2
    it's not okay to assume that.

The inequality [tex]\left|\sqrt{x}-2\right|\leq \frac{1}{2} \left|\ x - 4 \right|\ [/tex] shows that if you restrict the x-values so that [tex] \left|\ x - 4\right|\ <2\epsilon [/tex] for the given [tex]\epsilon[/tex], then you get

[tex]\left|\sqrt{x}-2\right|\leq \frac{1}{2} \left|\ x - 4 \right|\ < \frac{1}{2} (2\epsilon) =\epsilon[/tex]

Also, the last line, 'And since . . .' is a bit weird. Remember that you're showing that such a delta exists in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    How does [tex]\left|\sqrt{x}-2\right|\leq \frac{1}{2} \left|\ x - 4 \right|\ [/tex] show that [tex] \left|\ x - 4\right|\ <2\epsilon [/tex] without assuming [tex]\frac{1}{2} \left|\ x - 4 \right|\ < \epsilon [/tex] first? Sorry. I don't see how the first inequality connects with it being less than epsilon. Thanks for the help!

Oh and yeah, I typed this up haphazardly without thinking what I meant by the last line. Thanks again!

5. Sep 29, 2007 #4
    remember that you fixed [tex]\epsilon[/tex] as a positive number.

the inequality shows that IF you make [tex]\left|\ x - 4\right|\ < \epsilon[/tex] , THEN you get [tex]\left|\sqrt{x}-2\right|\<\epsilon[/tex].

Read over the definition of a limit carefully and see how it applies to this particular problem:

We say that [tex]\lim_{x\to\\a}f(x)=v [/tex] whenever,

for all [tex] \epsilon > 0 [/tex], there is some [tex]\delta >0[/tex] such that,

whenever we have [tex]0<\left|\ x-a \right|\ < \delta[/tex], it follows that [tex]\left|\ f(x) - v\right|\ < \epsilon [/tex]

6. Sep 29, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The reason that last line seems a bit "peculiar" is that it is really a peculiarity of the way we do proofs of limits.

The definition of limit requires that we show that, for a specific [itex]\delta[/itex], if [itex]|x-a|< \delta[/itex], then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]. But what we do is work the other way- assuming a value of [itex]\epsilon[/itex], we calculate the necessary [itex]\delta[/itex]. The point is that every step is "reversible"- you could start from, in this case, |x-4|< [itex]\delta[/itex] and, by just going through the derivation "in reverse" arrive at [itex]|\sqrt{x}- 2|< \epsilon[/itex].

That's sometimes referred to as "synthetic" proof. Again, we go from the conclusion we want to the hypothesis- but it is crucial that every step be "reversible"!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?