An 'ethical' way to get stem cells

In summary, a team in Germany has successfully grown mouse embryonic stem cell-like cells from spermatagonial stem cells, which could potentially provide a source of tissue-matched cells for repairing damaged organs or tissue. This raises the possibility of using men's testicles as an ethical source of embryonic stem cells. However, some may argue that it is not ethical to use these cells, even if the men donating them do so willingly.
scott1
Men’s testicles may provide an “ethical” source of embryonic stem cells (ESCs), suggest new experiments in mice.

A team in Germany has successfully grown mouse ESC-like cells from spermatagonial stem cells which normally turn into sperm. The ESC-like cells can be grown into all tissues of the mouse body, suggesting that if the same could be done in men, it would provide patients with a source of tissue-matched cells for repairing any damaged organs or tissue.
:uhh:
Atleast no one gets hurt(I think..)...Lets hope there's more research on stms cells.

Biology news on Phys.org
Cue Every Sperm is Sacred...

This seems interesting. May I see your source?

If you have to put it in quotes, it's probably not ethical.

Well, if the men who participate donate willingly, then it's definitely not unethical.

- Warren

scott1 said:
:uhh:
Atleast no one gets hurt(I think..)...Lets hope there's more research on stms cells.
Do you have the link?

Mattara said:
This seems interesting. May I see your source?
Forgot I thought I did I'll put it in
Sorry about that
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8892&feedId=online-news_rss20

Last edited by a moderator:

What are stem cells?

Stem cells are undifferentiated cells that have the ability to develop into different types of cells in the body. They are unique because they can renew themselves through cell division and can also differentiate into specialized cells, such as nerve cells, muscle cells, and blood cells.

What is an 'ethical' way to get stem cells?

An ethical way to get stem cells is through the use of induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). These are adult cells that are reprogrammed to behave like embryonic stem cells, without the need for using embryos. This method avoids any ethical concerns related to the destruction of embryos.

Why is it important to find an ethical way to get stem cells?

It is important to find an ethical way to get stem cells because the use of embryonic stem cells has been a controversial topic due to the destruction of human embryos. By finding alternative methods, we can avoid ethical concerns and still benefit from the potential of stem cells in medical research and treatments.

What are the potential uses of stem cells in medical research and treatments?

Stem cells have the potential to be used in a wide range of medical research and treatments. They can be used to study diseases and develop new drugs, as well as to replace damaged or diseased cells and tissues in the body. Some potential applications include treating spinal cord injuries, heart disease, and Parkinson's disease.

Are there any current ethical guidelines for the use of stem cells?

Yes, there are ethical guidelines in place for the use of stem cells. In most countries, research involving embryonic stem cells is tightly regulated and requires approval from an ethical review board. Additionally, many researchers and institutions follow specific ethical principles, such as informed consent and transparency, when conducting stem cell research.