What is the integral of x(z)/(1+x(z)) wrt z?

• Thread starter natski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to integrate x(z)/(1+x(z)) with respect to z. The function x(z) is a linear combination of decimal powers of z and Mathematica crashes when trying to integrate it. The conversation mentions that the integral can be reduced to \int\frac{dz}{1+x(z)} and suggests using NIntegrate for numerical integration.
natski
I am trying to integrate:

x(z)/(1+x(z)) wrt z.

I know the function x(z), it basically just made up a linear combination of several decimal powers of z. Mathematica refuses to do an numerical integration and just crashes when it gets a couple of minutes in on my laptop.

If x(z) was just z then I could obviously use some standard integrals but I think this is more complex than that. Any ideas on how to solve this one? I have attached the exact equation in a mathematica notebook.

Natski

Attachments

• integral.nb
    4.8 KB · Views: 329
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is this complex or real integration? And what are your limits of integration? And it would probably help if you wrote out the entire integral.

Remember that this can effectively be reduced to integrating:
[tex]\int\frac{dz}{1+x(z)}[/tex]
It is by no means obvious why this should at all be possible; if it were, you would for example be able to solve for the particular choice:
[tex]x(z)=e^{z^{2}}-1[/tex]
That would be equivalent to find an anti-derivative to the error function..

I was trying to approve the attachment, but my PC doesn't know what file type *.NB is. What application uses *.NB files?

Mathematica.

I posted the original content of the .nb file to the attached pdf. Maybe the forum needs a tutorial on the simple process for Mathematica -> TeX.

From a mathematica point of view, you natski are not integrating numerically, you are forcing a symbolic result. To integrate numerically, just use the function NIntegrate, like this:

Code:
NIntegrate[integrand, {ψ, 0, N[Pi/2]}]

Then the result is:1.66469

Attachments

• integral.pdf
    30.7 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

1. What is "An integral for thought"?

"An integral for thought" is a concept proposed by the philosopher and cognitive scientist, Douglas Hofstadter. It refers to the idea that the human mind processes information in a way that is analogous to mathematical integration.

2. How does this concept relate to cognitive science?

The concept of "An integral for thought" is based on the theory that the human mind integrates and combines different pieces of information to form complex thoughts and ideas. This is a fundamental principle in cognitive science, which seeks to understand how the brain processes and represents information.

3. Can you give an example of "An integral for thought" in action?

One example of "An integral for thought" is the process of understanding a sentence. The mind integrates individual words, their meanings, and their grammatical relationships to form a coherent understanding of the sentence as a whole.

4. Is "An integral for thought" a proven theory?

The concept of "An integral for thought" is a theoretical framework proposed by Hofstadter, and it has not been scientifically proven. However, many cognitive scientists and philosophers find it to be a compelling and useful way of thinking about the mind.

5. How can "An integral for thought" be applied in real-world situations?

Some researchers have applied the concept of "An integral for thought" to develop computational models of human cognition. It has also been used to understand and explain various phenomena in psychology, such as creativity and problem-solving. Additionally, some philosophers have used it to explore the nature of consciousness and the self.