An old fashioned question about bleach

• Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
In summary, the difference in active chemical agents between simple household bleach and toilet cleaners is that bleach contains hypochlorite which is effective at oxidizing organic stains, while toilet cleaners may contain detergents and bactericides, but may not be effective at removing all types of stains. The presence of limescale may require an acid to inhibit or remove it, but this does not necessarily mean the cleaner will be effective at removing ordinary stains.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is the difference in the active chemical agents in simple household bleach and 'toilet cleaners'?
I have been trying to get rid of a 'toilet stain' for ages. Brushing and Harpic etc. had no effect. The other day, in desperation, I tipped some simple 'own brand' bleach down and the stain just disappeared.

Modern 'School Chemistry' is of no use at all in finding out about this but someone (possibly as old as me) must know the answer to this.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Depends an what the stain was. Hypochlorite is quite effective at oxidizing things, including many organic chromophores. But it won't do a thing to iron stains, which are much better removed by something acidic and complexing - hydrochloric acid or - even better - phosphoric acid.

No idea what is present in toilet cleaners, I guess they contain some detergents and bactericides. Nothing that could "kill" the dye.

Ok. Thanks for the answer so far. It makes me wonder what the toilet cleaner producers are aiming at. I realize that limescale needs to be inhibited or removed and that, presumably requires an acid but how is a cleaner (and we've tried several) any use if it doesn't 'clean' ordinary stains?
Someone must have a clue about generic cleaners, ?

1. What is bleach?

Bleach is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a household cleaner and disinfectant. It is also known as sodium hypochlorite and is typically a clear or yellowish liquid with a strong smell.

2. How does bleach work?

Bleach works by breaking down the chemical bonds of substances, such as dirt and stains, making them easier to remove. It also has strong disinfectant properties, killing bacteria and viruses.

3. Is bleach safe to use?

In small amounts and when used properly, bleach is generally considered safe to use. However, it can be toxic if ingested or if fumes are inhaled. It is important to always follow the instructions on the product label and take proper precautions when using bleach.

4. Can bleach be used on all surfaces?

Bleach can be used on most non-porous surfaces, such as countertops and tile floors. However, it can damage or discolor certain materials, such as wood and some fabrics. It is important to test a small, inconspicuous area before using bleach on a surface.

5. Can bleach expire?

Yes, bleach can expire and lose its effectiveness over time. The shelf life of bleach can vary, but it typically lasts for about 6 months to a year. It is best to check the expiration date on the bottle before using it for cleaning or disinfecting purposes.