How does analog video acquisition work?

In summary, would someone who has been around longer than me know of any books or resources to explain how analog video works?Most stuff I have found seems to be more software based or are geared towards photography rather than laboratory work. I have been looking in the literature for my work and some made feedback loops using various portions of raw video signal and I want to understand it more. Would someone who has been around longer than me know of any books or resources to explain how analog video works? Apparently, from some more digging the cameras I am referring are typically called industrial cameras. I am familiar with the operation of the sensors, but beyond that... I would like to know more. I still waiting from my manufacture
splitringtail
Would someone who has been around longer than me know of any books or resources to explain how analog video works.

Most stuff I have found seems to be more software based or are geared towards photography rather than laboratory work.

I have been looking in the literature for my work and some made feedback loops using various portions of raw video signal and I want to understand it more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
splitringtail said:
Would someone who has been around longer than me know of any books or resources to explain how analog video works.

Most stuff I have found seems to be more software based or are geared towards photography rather than laboratory work.

I have been looking in the literature for my work and some made feedback loops using various portions of raw video signal and I want to understand it more.

Do you mean like NTSC video signals? Have you looked at wikipedia.org and HowStuffWorks.com? What kind of information links have you looked at so far?

I have a really good book at home on video systems (it's old enough that it's all about analog systems) -- I'll look tonight and post the title.

-- Televsion and Audio Handbook, by Benson & Whitaker

-- TV Field & Bench Servicer's Handbook, by Spillane

-- Flat-Panel Displays and CRTs, by Lawrence and Tannas.

Sorry, for the late replay. I will check into the texts.

Apparently, from some more digging the cameras I am referring are typically called industrial cameras. Unfortunately, some vendors do not have tech notes or tutorials on the general workings of the cameras. I am familiar with the operation of the sensors, but beyond that... I would like to know more. Still waiting from my manufacture about any additional material for the camera I have. It manual from the site is a 12 pages of sawing this does this and this does that.

I would think there would be some text. They are plenty of books that discuss pressure, temperature, etc. measurements and instrumentation. Video and imagining equipment are pretty common these days, not sure why I am having such difficultly. Most texts I find are software algorithms. I am sure I can benefit from them, but for now I would like to be more familiar with the systems in general. It is an important aspect to my measurements and should not be treated as a black box.

Analogue TV has been around for many decades. I can't imagine what search terms you are using for Google not to give you loads of relevant information about it. It is a much researched field with some brilliant engineering involved.
I guess your choice of "analogue video acquisition" could have been your problem. Call it TV and we (including google) will all know what you are after.

Related to How does analog video acquisition work?

1. What is analog video acquisition?

Analog video acquisition is the process of capturing and converting video signals from analog sources, such as VHS tapes or analog cameras, into digital format. This allows the video to be stored, edited, and played on modern digital devices.

2. How does analog video acquisition work?

Analog video acquisition involves using a device called a video capture card to convert the analog video signal into a digital one. The video capture card connects to the analog source, such as a VCR, and then to a computer where software is used to capture and store the digital video.

3. What are the benefits of analog video acquisition?

Analog video acquisition allows for the preservation and conversion of old analog video footage, making it accessible on modern devices. It also allows for the editing and enhancement of the video, and the ability to share it online or store it for future use.

4. What types of devices can be used for analog video acquisition?

There are various devices that can be used for analog video acquisition, such as video capture cards, analog-to-digital converters, and external video capture devices. These can be connected to a computer or used as standalone devices to capture and convert analog video.

5. Are there any limitations to analog video acquisition?

While analog video acquisition is a useful tool, there are some limitations to consider. The quality of the digital video will depend on the quality of the original analog source. Additionally, some older analog formats may not be compatible with modern video capture devices, making it difficult to convert them into digital format.