Find a & b for g(x) Diff at x=1

• Thread starter Janez25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, for all real numbers a and b, g(x) = 3x² if x≤1, a+bx if x>1. The derivative of g at x=1 is 6 and it is differentiable.
Janez25

Homework Statement

For all real numbers a and b, define g(x) = 3x² if x≤1, a+bx if x>1. For what values of a and b is g differentiable at x=1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

g(x) is continuous: lim as x→1- [f(x)] = 1; lim as x→1+ [f(x)] = a+b
g(x) is differentiable: g'(x) = lim as x→1- of [(g(x)-g(1))/x-1] = 6 and g'(x) = lim as x→1+ [(g(x)-g(1))/x-1]=lim as x→1+ (b) = 0 {I think the limit from the right is correct}
I believe a=6, and I am not sure what b equals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did f come from? For the first part, lim as x -> 1- [g(x)] =/= 1, so a + b should equal a number that is not 1 in the resulting equation. Just as for your second analysis problem, think about what g'(x) should be for x < 1 and what it should be for x > 1.

Last edited:
Janez25 said:

Homework Statement

For all real numbers a and b, define g(x) = 3x² if x≤1, a+bx if x>1. For what values of a and b is g differentiable at x=1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

g(x) is continuous: lim as x→1- [f(x)] = 1; lim as x→1+ [f(x)] = a+b
g(x) is differentiable: g'(x) = lim as x→1- of [(g(x)-g(1))/x-1] = 6 and g'(x) = lim as x→1+ [(g(x)-g(1))/x-1]=lim as x→1+ (b) = 0 {I think the limit from the right is correct}
No, the limit from the right is NOT correct. For x> 1, g(x)= a+ bx and the derivative of a linear function is just its slope, b. Since the limit from the left is 6, you have b= 6, together with your previous equation, a+ b= 1.

I believe a=6, and I am not sure what b equals.

Ok, I have it now. Thanks!

FAQ: Find a & b for g(x) Diff at x=1

What is the purpose of finding a and b for g(x) at x=1?

The purpose is to determine the instantaneous rate of change, or the slope, of the function at the specific point x=1. This can help with understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions about its values.

How do you find the values of a and b for g(x) at x=1?

To find a and b, you need to use the formula for the derivative of a function, which is g'(x) = a + bx. Substitute x=1 into this formula and then solve for a and b using any given information about the function g(x).

What does a represent in the equation g'(x) = a + bx?

The value of a represents the y-intercept of the tangent line to g(x) at x=1. It is the value of g(x) when x=1, and it can also tell us if the function is increasing or decreasing at that point.

What does b represent in the equation g'(x) = a + bx?

The value of b represents the slope of the tangent line to g(x) at x=1. It tells us how steep or flat the function is at that point and can help with understanding the overall shape of the function.

What is the significance of finding a and b for g(x) at x=1?

Finding a and b allows us to calculate the exact rate of change of g(x) at x=1, which can be useful in many fields of science and mathematics. It can also help with making predictions and analyzing the behavior of the function in that specific area.

Back