Proving Continuity of Additive & Subadditive Functions at 0

• Thread starter adamantium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary: It sounds like you are trying to do something a bit more complicated than this, but I'm not sure what it is.In summary, you need to show that if an additive function is continuous at 0, then it is continuous in R; and if a subadditive function is continuous at 0 and f(0)=0, then the subadditive function is on R.
adamantium
I have a HW problem that asks in two parts to prove i) that if an additive function is continuous at 0 then it is continuous in R, and ii) if a subadditive function is continuous at 0 and f(0)=0 then the subadditive function is on R. I did the first part but don't know how to do the second. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work to get help. How did you do the first part? It seems like a pretty simple extension to get the second part, so where are you getting stuck?

Ok for the first part I showed that for any z (real number) and m (natural number) f((m+1)z)=f(mz) + f(z)=(m+1)f(z). Next f(0) has to equal zero since f(0 + 0)=f(0) + f(0)=f(0). Now f(mz-mz)=f(mz) + f(-mz) which implies f(-mz)=-f(mz) therefore f(mz)=mf(z) for every m (integer). Now for any z' (real number) f(z')=f(nz'/n)=nf(z'/n). Therefore f(mz'/n)=mf(z'/n)=m/n[f(z')] for m (integer) and n (natural number). If we take z'=1 we get f(r)=rf(1) for r (rational number). Finally since f is continuous at 0, there exists a delta such that abs[f(x)]<epsilon. This implies x' (real number) is also less than epsilon in the delta nbd of x. Therefore f(x) is continuous for any x' (real number).

Okay for the second part, I don't how to deal with the inequality.

Sorry, I have been working on three midterms and am a bit exhausted. It maybe in front of my face, but I can't see it.

I'm not sure I follow your proof, but it seems to be overcomplicating things. Note that to show f is continuous at x, you just need to show that for any e>0, there is a d>0 with |f(x+y)-f(x)|<e for all y with |y|<d. It should be clear that the additivity of f implies this is equivalent to continuity at x=0. For the sub-additive one, do the same thing, and the inequality should work in your favor.

1. What is "additivity" in scientific analysis?

"Additivity" refers to the principle that the total effect of multiple factors on a system can be determined by adding together the individual effects of each factor.

2. How is additivity determined in scientific experiments?

Additivity can be determined through various methods such as statistical analysis, control experiments, and mathematical modeling. These methods allow scientists to isolate and measure the individual effects of each factor on a system and then combine them to determine the total effect.

3. What are the limitations of additivity in scientific analysis?

While additivity is a useful principle in many scientific fields, it is not always applicable. Some systems may exhibit non-additive behavior, meaning the effects of multiple factors cannot be determined by simply adding them together. Additionally, there may be interactions between factors that make it difficult to accurately measure their individual effects.

4. How does additivity relate to dose-response relationships?

Additivity is often used in dose-response studies, where the effect of a certain dose of a substance is compared to the effect of a higher or lower dose. In these studies, additivity allows scientists to predict the effects of different doses based on the individual effects of each dose.

5. What are the implications of additivity in the field of toxicology?

Additivity is an important concept in toxicology, as it helps researchers to determine the potential risks of exposure to multiple substances. By understanding the individual effects of each substance and combining them using additivity, scientists can better assess the overall toxicity of a mixture and make informed decisions about potential health risks.