1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Question on addivity

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    I have a HW problem that asks in two parts to prove i) that if an additive function is continuous at 0 then it is continuous in R, and ii) if a subadditive function is continuous at 0 and f(0)=0 then the subadditive function is on R. I did the first part but dont know how to do the second. Any help would be great.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

You need to show some work to get help. How did you do the first part? It seems like a pretty simple extension to get the second part, so where are you getting stuck?
  4. Oct 25, 2006 #3
    Ok for the first part I showed that for any z (real number) and m (natural number) f((m+1)z)=f(mz) + f(z)=(m+1)f(z). Next f(0) has to equal zero since f(0 + 0)=f(0) + f(0)=f(0). Now f(mz-mz)=f(mz) + f(-mz) which implies f(-mz)=-f(mz) therefore f(mz)=mf(z) for every m (integer). Now for any z' (real number) f(z')=f(nz'/n)=nf(z'/n). Therefore f(mz'/n)=mf(z'/n)=m/n[f(z')] for m (integer) and n (natural number). If we take z'=1 we get f(r)=rf(1) for r (rational number). Finally since f is continuous at 0, there exists a delta such that abs[f(x)]<epsilon. This implies x' (real number) is also less than epsilon in the delta nbd of x. Therefore f(x) is continuous for any x' (real number).

Okay for the second part, I don't how to deal with the inequality.
  5. Oct 25, 2006 #4
    Sorry, I have been working on three midterms and am a bit exhausted. It maybe in front of my face, but I can't see it.
  6. Oct 25, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

I'm not sure I follow your proof, but it seems to be overcomplicating things. Note that to show f is continuous at x, you just need to show that for any e>0, there is a d>0 with |f(x+y)-f(x)|<e for all y with |y|<d. It should be clear that the additivity of f implies this is equivalent to continuity at x=0. For the sub-additive one, do the same thing, and the inequality should work in your favor.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?