1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Question

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Analysis Question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f:Reals to Reals be a continuous at x=a, and further suppose f(a)>0. Show there exists an interval I about x=a such that f(x)>0 for all x in I.

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution
    i know the defn of continuity but I am not sure how to show this interval exists.
    I need HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2
    well, this is quite easy to show, just use the definition of the limit, and chose epsylon in such a manner that it will allow you to do this. i.e [tex]0<\epsilon<f(a)-0[/tex].

[tex]\forall\epsilon>0, \ \ also \ \ for 0<\epsilon<f(a),\exists\delta(\epsilon)>0[/tex] such that

[tex]|f(x)-f(a)|<\epsilon, \ \ whenever \ \ 0<|x-a|<\delta[/tex] so from here we have:

[tex] -\epsilon<f(x)-f(a)<\epsilon =>f(a)-\epsilon<f(x)<f(a)+\epsilon[/tex] but look now how we chose our epsilon, [tex]\epsilon<f(a)=>f(a)-\epsilon>0[/tex] so, eventually

[tex]0<f(a)-\epsilon<f(x), \ \ whenever, \ \ \ xE(a-\delta,a+\delta[/tex].

hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    wow thanks

5. Mar 24, 2008 #4
    Yeah, but make sure next time to show some work of yours!!.

6. Mar 25, 2008 #5
    how do I know it is in the interval around a?

7. Mar 25, 2008 #6
    But notice that x is from the interval [tex] (a-\delta,a+\delta)[/tex] which actually includes a. MOreover, it works only for that interval around a, for other intervals we are not sure.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?