Analytic function, creation and annihilation operators proof

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for a power series that describes a one level system, but they don't seem to be able to find the right form.
vst98

Homework Statement

Show that

f(aa)a = af(aa + 1)

Where f is any analytic function and a and a† satisfy commutation relation [a, a] = 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used [a, a†] = aa†-a†a=1 to write the expression like

f(a†a)a†= a†f(aa†)

but I don't know what to do next.

I know that analytic function can be written like f(x)=Ʃ kn(x-x0)2 and that it is infinitely differentiable, but I don't see how can I sucesssfuly
apply this, or there some other trick here.

Physics news on Phys.org
So f is essentially a power series and you can then use induction for an arbitrary power of (a+ a)

I think now I understand,
so on the left hand side for f(a†a) I will have powers of a†a
like a†a + a†aa†a ...
and on the right hand side for f(aa†) i will have powers of aa†
like aa† + aa†aa† ...

but since I have to multiply these series by a† from the opposite sides
(a†a + a†aa†a ... ) /a† = a†aa† + a†aa†aa† ...
a†\ ( aa† + aa†aa† ... ) = a†aa† + a†aa†aa† ...

they turn out to be the same, right ?

also I have a question which builds on this one (so I will stay in this thread),
A bosonic one level system can be described by the Hamiltonian
H= εa†a,

The expectation value of n = a†a is defined as n(ε) = <n> = tr(ρa†a) where

ρ=(1/ZG)*Exp[-β(ε-μ)a†a] , tr(ρ)=1

is the grand canonical density matrix.
Use f(a†a)a† = a†f(a†a + 1) to show that the form

n(ε) = 1/(Exp[β(ε-μ)]

of the Bose-Einstein distribution directly follows from the bosonic commutation
relation for a and a†.

I don't see where to apply my result from the first part, to trace function maybe ?
But that does not have appropriate form.

To solve this problem, we can use the fact that the creation and annihilation operators, a and a†, are related to each other through the commutation relation [a, a†] = 1. This means that we can use the commutation relation to manipulate the expression f(a†a)a† into a form that is easier to work with.

Starting with the given expression, we can use the commutation relation to write:

f(a†a)a† = a†f(aa†) = a†f(aa† - 1 + 1) = a†f([a, a†] + 1)

Now, since [a, a†] = 1, we can simplify this expression further to get:

f(a†a)a† = a†f(1 + 1) = a†f(2)

Finally, we can use the fact that f is an analytic function to expand this expression as a power series:

f(a†a)a† = a†Ʃn cn(2)n = Ʃn cn(2)n+1 = Ʃn cn(2n + 1)

Similarly, we can manipulate the expression a†f(a†a + 1) to get:

a†f(a†a + 1) = a†f([a, a†] + 1) = a†f(1 + 1) = a†Ʃn cn(2)n = Ʃn cn(2n + 1)

Therefore, we can see that both expressions are equal, and we have successfully proven the given statement.

1. What is an analytic function?

An analytic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point in its domain. It is represented by a power series with a finite radius of convergence and can be extended to a larger region known as the analytic continuation.

2. How are creation and annihilation operators used in proof for analytic functions?

Creation and annihilation operators are used in the proof of analytic functions by acting on a state vector to generate a new state vector. These operators are used to create or destroy particles in a quantum system and are essential in proving the properties of analytic functions in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the proof for analytic functions in quantum mechanics?

The proof for analytic functions in quantum mechanics is significant because it helps to establish the mathematical foundations for the study of quantum systems. It allows for the prediction and understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles and is essential in the development of technologies such as quantum computing.

4. Can the proof for analytic functions be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, the proof for analytic functions has applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used in the study of complex systems, such as fluids and electromagnetic fields, and has also been applied in the development of signal processing algorithms and image analysis techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to the proof for analytic functions?

One limitation of the proof for analytic functions is that it is based on the assumption that the system being studied is linear and time-invariant. This may not hold true in all cases, and thus the proof may not accurately describe the behavior of certain systems. Additionally, the proof may become more complex when dealing with higher-dimensional systems or systems with interactions between particles.