Creation and Annihilation operators on photons

In summary, the possible (normalized) eigenstates of a photon in a given system are denoted as $$|\psi_1>,|\psi_2>,...|\psi_m>$$ and a state $$|\phi>$$ is defined as the sum of all these eigenstates divided by the square root of the number of eigenstates. Another state $$|n>$$ is defined as a state containing n photons in the state $$|\psi_1>$$. Adding the state $$|\phi>$$ to $$|n>$$ results in the totally symmetric state $$|n\phi>$$ for bosons. Applying the annihilation operator to this state, considering the case of r=1, results in the state $$|(n-1
Malamala

Homework Statement

The possible (normalized) eigenstates of a photon in a given system are written as: $$|\psi_1>,|\psi_2>,...|\psi_m>$$ Let another state be $$|\phi> = \frac{|\psi_1>+|\psi_2>+...+|\psi_m>}{\sqrt{m}}$$ and denote: $$|n>=|\psi_1>|\psi_1>...|\psi_1>$$ which represent a state containing n photons in $$|\psi_1>$$ If we add ##|\phi>## to ##|n>## we get the totally symmetric (for bosons) state ##|n\phi>##. For ##n=1## this would be $$|1\phi>=N(|\phi>|1>+|1>|\phi>)$$ where N is a normalization constant. I showed in a previous part of the problem that: $$|n\phi>=N(a_1^\dagger+a_2^\dagger++...a_m^\dagger)|n>$$ where ##a_i^\dagger## is the creation operator for a photon in the state ##i##. The question I have problems with is: Starting in the state ##|n\phi>## what is the state of the system after ##r## photons leave? The photons that leave are the one in the state ##|\psi_1>##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll do this for ##r=1## for now. Intuitively, if one photon in the state ##|\psi_1>## leaves, the final state would be ##|(n-1) \phi>## (I will ignore normalization constants for now). However, if I apply the annihilation operator to get rid of a photon in ##|\psi_1>## i.e. ##a_1## and using $$a_1a_1^\dagger|n>=(n+1)|n>$$ and for ##i \neq 1## $$a_1a_i^\dagger|n>=\sqrt{n}|i(n-1)>$$ I get in the end $$a_1|n\phi>=(n+1)|n>+\sum_{i=2}^m \sqrt{n}|i(n-1)>$$ which is equal to $$a_1|n\phi>=(n+1)|n>-\sqrt{n}|n>+\sqrt{n}|(1+2+...m)(n-1))>$$ $$a_1|n\phi>=(n+1)|n>-\sqrt{n}|n>+\sqrt{nm}|\phi(n-1))$$ so in the end I get an extra term of ##|n>## and I am not sure why is it there. It looks as if ##|\phi>## itself was annihilated, but I am not sure how. Did I do a mistake? Can someone help me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your detailed explanation and attempt at solving the problem. It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few small mistakes in your calculations.

Firstly, when applying the annihilation operator ##a_1## to the state ##|n\phi>##, you should get $$a_1|n\phi>=(n+1)|n>+a_1a_2^\dagger|n>+\dots+a_1a_m^\dagger|n>.$$ This is because the state ##|n\phi>## contains ##n## photons in the state ##|\phi>##, and the annihilation operator ##a_1## will only act on one of these photons. So, your final result should be $$a_1|n\phi>=(n+1)|n>+\sqrt{n}|\phi(n-1)>.$$

Secondly, when considering the case ##r=1##, the final state will indeed be ##|(n-1)\phi>##, as you correctly stated. However, your calculations seem to suggest that this state would also contain an extra term ##|n>##. This is not the case, as the photons leaving the system are in the state ##|\psi_1>##, and not in the state ##|\phi>##. So, the final state should be $$|(n-1)\phi>=(n+1)|n>-\sqrt{n}|\phi(n-1)>.$$

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work!

1. What are creation and annihilation operators on photons?

Creation and annihilation operators on photons are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the creation and annihilation of photons, which are particles of light. These operators are used to represent the energy and momentum of a photon, and how they change as a result of interactions with other particles.

2. What is the difference between creation and annihilation operators?

Creation operators increase the number of photons in a given state, while annihilation operators decrease the number of photons in that state. This is analogous to adding or removing a particle from a system.

3. How are creation and annihilation operators used in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, creation and annihilation operators are used to represent the quantized electromagnetic field, which is responsible for the creation and annihilation of photons. These operators are used to calculate the probabilities of different particle interactions and the energy of the system.

4. Can creation and annihilation operators be applied to other particles besides photons?

Yes, creation and annihilation operators can be applied to other particles besides photons. In quantum mechanics, these operators are used to describe the creation and annihilation of any type of particle, including electrons, protons, and neutrons.

5. What is the significance of creation and annihilation operators in the study of quantum mechanics?

Creation and annihilation operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they allow us to describe and understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They are essential for calculating probabilities of particle interactions and for analyzing the energy and momentum of a system. Without these operators, many important quantum phenomena could not be accurately described.