1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic Functions Cauchy & Riemann Equations

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    Hi, this is fairly fundamental and basic, but I cannot seem to make sense of it

I know z = x + iy

and hence a function of this variable would be in the form h = f(z). BUT I do not understand why

f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)

why so? in z = x + iy, x is the real part and iy is the imaginary part, so why does y have influence in real part and x have influence in the imaginary part in f(z)?

Thanks
    Thomas

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi thomas49th! :smile:

Consider for instance f(z)=z2.
    What is (x+iy)2?

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Mod note: Moved from Precalculus section.

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4
    I had a bit of trouble grasping this when first exposed to it, as well. What convinced me was to see f(z) as just another complex number, w. And w has its own real and imaginary part, u + iv.

Now if w = f(z) then we can say that w is (the result of) a function of z, and likewise that u and v are functions of z. So w(z) = u(z) + iv(z). But since the value of z is dependent of the values of its real and imaginary parts, x and y, we can think of w(z) = w(z(x,y)) = u(z(x,y)) + iv(z(x,y)). But there is no need for such ugly notation, since the root idea is that w is a function of both x and y. So we simplify to f(z) = w(x,y) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y).

6. Oct 24, 2011 #5
    @ I like... thought someone might say that :)

@ kru_ that has satisfied me for the time being

all is good for now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook