Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytical Expressions for Frequency Response

1. Dec 17, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am struggling to understand the maths in the text shown below.

(1) How does: r(t) = Acos(wt)+Bsin(wt)
    become; sqrt((A^2)+(B^2))cos(wt - arctan(B/A))?

(2) He states that we can represent the input as a phasor and in one of three ways but doesn't say which one.

(3) He then focus on the forced response {R(s)} the laplace transform of the input.

(4) He then then seperates the forced solution from the transient solution by performing a partial faction expansion but I am unsure what is meant by this seperation?

Any help genuinely appreciated.

upload_2015-12-17_22-30-21.png
    upload_2015-12-17_22-30-58.png
    upload_2015-12-17_22-31-20.png

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2015 #2
    1) First write r(t) in rectangular phasor form:
    r(t)=Acos(wt)+Bsin(wt)
    =Re{A exp(jwt)}-Re{jB exp(jwt)}
    =Re{(A-jB) exp(jwt)}
    =Re{sqrt(A^2+B^2) exp(-jarctan(B/A)) exp(jwt)}
    =sqrt(A^2+B^2)cos(wt-arctan(B/A) //

2) You can see from 1) that I started in trignometric, went to rectangular then used Euler's formula and a property of exponentials to simplify. This can also be done with trig identities but there are extra steps and since you have a linear system this is an easier approach anyways.

3) I believe the author has implicitly assumed a linear time invariant system, G(s), which is stable and hence the transient contribution is negligible in the long term therefore he focuses on the sinusoidal steady-state response only, C_ss(s).

4) partial faction expansion is a method to isolate the "poles" of a rational function. Remeber the location of the poles are growth (or decay) rates of the exponential functions in the time-domain. Incidentally in this example the poles s=+-jw are associated with the output (and input) frequency since sinusoids are the eigenfunctions of LTI systems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook