Analytical solution of the Euler equations in 1D?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving Euler's equation and the Navier-Stokes equations, even in simplified forms. The method of characteristics is suggested as a possible approach, but it is acknowledged that it may not lead to an analytical solution. Further simplification of the equations may be necessary, depending on the specific problem being studied. The goal of finding analytical solutions is to compare them to numerical solutions and understand the effects of modified gravity theories on baryon density in galaxy clusters.
Morridini
Hi.

Since these equations are approaching three hundred years old I'm pretty sure someone must have solved them somewhere before. However I have not been able to find any text-books or papers that actually show me how to solve these equations. So I'm wondering if anyone here know where I can find an approach to the analytical solutions, or who simply know how I should attack a problem set like this?

Here are the equations:

\begin{align}
\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\rho v) &= 0 \\
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\rho v) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\rho v^2) +\frac{\partial p}{\partial x} &= - \rho\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} \\
\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial x^2}& = 4\pi G\rho
\end{align}

Were $t$ and $x$ are the space and time coordinates, $\rho = \rho(x,t)$ is a density, $v=v(x,t)$ is a velocity, $p=p(\rho)$ is the pressure related to the density with a constant $p=w\rho$ and $\phi=\phi(x,t)$ is a gravitational potential. The physical variables isn't really important here, as I am more curious as to the mathematical approach to find one analytical solution.

A general analytical solution probably doesn't exist for this set, but I believe I can give some initial conditions:
\begin{align}
\rho_0 = 1,\quad v_0 = sin(2\pi x), \quad p_0= 10^{-5}
\end{align}

Anyone got any sources or tips for solving this? Having multiple variables ($\rho$, $v$) as well as several partial derviatives ($\partial x, \partial t$) in the same equations is what is putting me off.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S.
Wasn't sure of where to put this thread, but decided for Math as the physics is kinda irrelevant at this point I think.

Cheers

EDIT: Oh, I see writing TeX in the text is not how it is in LaTeX on this forum, how should I do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Euler's equation and the Navier-Stokes equations are incredibly difficult to solve, even in 1-D.

A simplified toy model that is often studied is the inviscid Burger's equation.

[itex]d_t u + u d_x u = 0[/itex]

You can construct solutions to the Burger's equation using the method of characteristics. I know its a far cry from Euler's equation, but its a good place to start. However, don't be surprised if you have to resort to a numerical solution.

Thanks for the suggestions, in the time after I had first written the original post and you answered I had come across the Method of Charecteristics, and I tried it on the equations posted above. Let me type them up here, as I am not quite sure of how to proceed.

EDIT: I seem to have forgotten pressure in what follows below... oh well, let's ignore pressure for now.

In the method of charatceristics I try to build two equations on the form:

\begin{align}
\frac{d\rho}{ds} &= \frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} \\
\frac{dv}{ds} &= \frac{\partial v}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}
\end{align}

I then proceed to compare these to the Euler equations above and see that:

\begin{align}
\frac{\partial t}{\partial s} &= 1, \;\qquad\qquad \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} = v \\
\frac{d\rho}{ds} &= -\rho\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}, \qquad \frac{d v}{ds} = -\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}
\end{align}

Now at this point I am starting to struggle (keep in mind I just discovered this method (or actually, I vaguely remember doing something like this, just with matrices in a course once)), first of all I need initial conditions for $x(s=0)$ and $t(s=0)$.

On the other hand, I now seem to have two ordinary differential equations, one for ρ and v... Idle thoguhts suggest taking the spatial derivative of the last equation to get rid of the gravitational potential and introducing a ρ, and then taking the derivative of the former equation with regard to $s$ and combining them to get:

\begin{align}
\frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial s^2} - \frac{1}{\rho}\left(\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial s}\right)^2 - \rho^2 = 0
\end{align}

However before I continue along these lines I've to check to see if I haven't made any errors so far, do you agree with what I have done wolfman?

Also, I don't want to simplify the equations down any further as these are already simplifications of what I intend to solve (I'm on the hunt for these solutions in an expanding universe, so I'll have some terms of the scale factor and Hubble parameter cropping up as well.

Also 2, numerical solution isn't the way to go. That's because this is supposed to give me the analytical solution to compare numerical solutions I have already calculated to...

Last edited:
It's been a while since I used the method of characteristics.

Again I want to stress that Eulers equation is incredibly hard to solve analytically. I suspect that you'll need to further simplify your equation if you want to compare it to analytic solutions.

Two cases that I would consider are the case of large gravity, and the case of weak gravity. (I'm ignoring gravity).

Start by defining the ratio [itex]\frac{G\rho L^2}{V^2}[/itex] where L is a characteristic length scale of your system.
In the limit where this ratio is large then the gravity term dominates the advective term and your equation becomes
[itex]d_t u = -d_x \phi[/itex]

The other limit where the ratio is small allows you to ignore the gravity term. Then your equation becomes
[itex]d_t u + u d_x u =0[/itex]

I see what you're saying, but I have to give this some careful thought. The purpose of doing this is to study the effects of certain modified gravity theories on the baryon density in galaxy clusters... so I can't really ignore gravity. Sadly I'm in a bi of a rush now, but I'll give it some more thought. Thanks for all the input.

1. What are the Euler equations in 1D and why are they important?

The Euler equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a compressible fluid in one dimension. They are important because they allow us to analyze and understand various physical phenomena, such as the flow of air over an airplane wing or the formation of shock waves.

2. What is an analytical solution and why is it useful for solving the Euler equations in 1D?

An analytical solution is a mathematical expression that describes the exact solution to a problem, rather than an approximation. It is useful for solving the Euler equations in 1D because it allows us to obtain precise and accurate solutions, which can then be used for comparison and validation of numerical methods.

3. What are some common techniques for obtaining analytical solutions of the Euler equations in 1D?

Some common techniques for obtaining analytical solutions include the method of characteristics, similarity solutions, and perturbation theory. These methods involve different mathematical approaches and assumptions, but they all aim to find an exact solution to the Euler equations in 1D.

4. What are the challenges and limitations of obtaining analytical solutions for the Euler equations in 1D?

One of the main challenges is that the Euler equations are non-linear, which makes them difficult to solve analytically. Additionally, certain simplifying assumptions may need to be made in order to obtain an analytical solution, which may not accurately reflect real-world conditions. Furthermore, the complexity of the fluid dynamics being modeled may require higher-order equations, making it even more challenging to obtain an analytical solution.

5. How are analytical solutions of the Euler equations in 1D used in practical applications?

Analytical solutions are often used as a benchmark for validating numerical methods and simulations. They can also provide insight into the behavior of the fluid and help us understand the underlying physics of a system. In some cases, analytical solutions may even be used to design and optimize engineering systems, such as aircraft wings or gas turbine engines.