Analyzing a Complex Integral: Circle of Radius 2 Centered at 0 Counterclockwise

In summary, the given integral is \int\limits_C\frac{\mbox{d}z}{z}, where C is a circle of radius 2 centered at 0 oriented counterclockwise. The solution involves parameterizing the circle and simplifying the integral to get a final answer of 2\pi i. The term "counterclockwise" refers to the direction of movement around the circle, opposite to the way clock hands move.
player1_1_1

Homework Statement

integral: [tex]\int\limits_C\frac{\mbox{d}z}{z}[/tex] where [tex]C[/tex] is circle of radius 2 centered at 0 oriented counterclockwise

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am going to parameter this: [tex]\gamma=2\cos t+2i\sin t,\ \gamma^\prime=-2\sin t+2i\cos t,\ t\in[0,2\pi][/tex], then [tex]z=x+iy=2\cos t+2i\sin t[/tex] and integral will look like this:
[tex]\int\limits^{2\pi}_0\frac{-2\sin t+2i\cos t}{2\cos t+2i\sin t}\mbox{d}t=\int\limits^{2\pi}_0\frac{i\left(i\cos t-\sin t\right)}{i\cos t-\sin t}\mbox{d}t=2\pi i[/tex]
is it correct? and another question, what is counterclockwise? thanks for answer

Physics news on Phys.org
"Counter Clockwise" (called by our British cousins "anti-clockwise") means going around a circle opposite to the way clock hands do. On a coordinate system, going around the circle with radius 2 from (2, 0) to (0, 2) to (-2, 0) to (0, -2) back to (2, 0).

Yes, what you have done is correct. You could also use the parameterization [itex]z= 2e^{i\theta}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, sure, thanks for answer;)

Related to Analyzing a Complex Integral: Circle of Radius 2 Centered at 0 Counterclockwise

1. What is the definition of a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral in real analysis, but instead of integrating over a one-dimensional real interval, it integrates over a path in the complex plane.

2. How is a complex integral different from a regular integral?

One key difference is that complex integrals require the use of complex numbers and complex functions, while regular integrals only deal with real numbers and real functions. Additionally, complex integrals can be calculated along any path in the complex plane, while regular integrals are limited to one-dimensional intervals.

3. What is the Cauchy integral theorem?

The Cauchy integral theorem is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then the integral of that function along a closed path in that region is equal to zero. This theorem is useful in solving complex integrals and in proving other theorems in complex analysis.

4. Can complex integrals be computed using the fundamental theorem of calculus?

No, the fundamental theorem of calculus only applies to regular integrals over a one-dimensional interval. Complex integrals require the use of Cauchy's integral formula or other methods specific to complex analysis.

5. How are complex integrals used in practical applications?

Complex integrals have many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex functions are used to model real-world phenomena. They are also used in solving differential equations, calculating areas and volumes in the complex plane, and in the development of other mathematical methods and theorems.