And the best job in America is

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
..Mathematician!

at least, according to this site:

http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/JobsRated_10BestJobs [Broken]

Compiling research on 200 different positions, this year's JobsRated.com report ranks mathematician as the country's best job, followed by actuary and statistician -- three jobs for which a calculator and solitude are prerequisites. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Monty Python troupe made famous the song, "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK." Unfortunately, our study finds that lumberjacks have the nation's worst job, followed by dairy farmers and taxi drivers, which seems to bear out the old grade-school adage that "it's better to earn a living with your head rather than with your hands."
I can think of worse jobs than lumberjack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Calculators are prerequisites for Mathematicians???

bear out the old grade-school adage
(Math "best alias in America" Is Hard didn't write that, careercast did.)
Beware of studies that bear out old adages.

Its good practice to not pay attention to studies performed by .com's.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
..Mathematician!
I can think of worse jobs than lumberjack.
Have you seen the accident statistics (at least in the US) for lumberjacks!
All mathematicians have to worry about is being hunted by Shadowing lemmas.

lumberjacking is a good way to die. fisherman ain't so great either.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
lumberjacking is a good way to die. fisherman ain't so great either.
At least at sea they make an effort at some safety.
I work as a consultant occasionally in mining and you have to jump through all sorts of safety hoops even in less 'economically developed' countries.
Lumberjacks and small scale construction projects always look like they are competing to find new ways to kill themselves.

How could this possibly be dangerous?

Then again :surprised

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I always thought it was the high heels that made lumberjacking so dangerous.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Aww, they missed the army guy in the tutu.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Try this!

Australia offers 'best job in world' on paradise island
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090113/od_afp/lifestyleaustraliatourismoffbeat_20090113032028 [Broken]

SYDNEY (AFP) – An Australian state is offering internationally what it calls "the best job in the world" -- earning a top salary for lazing around a beautiful tropical island for six months.

The job pays 150,000 Australian dollars (105,000 US dollars) and includes free airfares from the winner's home country to Hamilton Island on the Great Barrier Reef, Queensland's state government announced on Tuesday.

In return, the "island caretaker" will be expected to stroll the white sands, snorkel the reef, take care of "a few minor tasks" -- and report to a global audience via weekly blogs, photo diaries and video updates.

The successful applicant, who will stay rent-free in a three-bedroom beach home complete with plunge pool and golf buggy, must be a good swimmer, excellent communicator and be able to speak and write English.
. . . .
But watch out for Irukandji Jellyfish, Stingrays, Blue-Ringed Octopus, Snakes, Cone Shells, Stonefish

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did you miss my post astro? :wink:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tsu has worked with many loggers who sustained terrible crush injuries. She has been in the medical field for over thirty years. She has also worked at a number of world-class hospitals where she saw many horrible, horrible injuries. But she will tell you that logger injuries are some of the worst.

Funny, but rarely if ever have I heard the word "lumberjack" since I moved to Oregon; or for those not familiar with the great NW, Oreegun. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Tsu has worked with many loggers who sustained terrible crush injuries. She has been in the medical field for over thirty years. She has also worked at a number of world-class hospitals where she saw many horrible, horrible injuries. But she will tell you that logger injuries are some of the worst.

Funny, but rarely if ever have I heard the word "lumberjack" since I moved to Oregon; or for those not familiar with the great NW, Oreegun. :biggrin:
I did that work when I was in college (and fire fighting too). It is fun, but you are right about it being dangerous. Engineering is better.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Did you miss my post astro? :wink:
Yes, I did. :rolleyes: I saw the .uk and thought it was about something in the UK.

Meanwhile - Demand for "best job in the world" crashes website
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090114/lf_nm_life/us_job_dream_website [Broken]
SYDNEY (Reuters Life!) – The chance to be the caretaker of a tiny tropical island in Australia has sparked so much interest around the world that a rush of applications crashed the website advertising the post.

The job, which offers a salary of $105,000 to spend six months on the Great Barrier Reef island of Hamilton, has been inundated with hundreds of thousands of prospective candidates.

An official from the state of Queensland, which is offering the position, said the job was created as an antidote to the global economic slump and was being advertised in 18 countries including the United States and China.
Too much of a good thing, eh?

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, I did. :rolleyes: I saw the .uk and thought it was about something in the UK.
Hey, didn't you know we own Australia. *hides*

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Actually since the link was to the telegraph - they probably think they still do!

Last edited:
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Hey, didn't you know we own Australia. *hides*
Once upon a time. :biggrin:

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Step 1 - ship troublemakers to distant colony.
Step 2 - give colony independance.

Worked 2 out of 3 - they should have kept Canada!

Defennder
Homework Helper
Wow, I can't believe "historian" made the top 10 list!

berkeman
Mentor
Have you seen the accident statistics (at least in the US) for lumberjacks!
Speaking of which, did Evo ever get that chainsaw? :bugeye:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Worked 2 out of 3 - they should have kept Canada!
I thought they did. If you want to be a Canadian citizen, you have to pledge allegiance to the Queen of England.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Speaking of which, did Evo ever get that chainsaw? :bugeye:
She is still here, right? Clearly she never got one. :biggrin:

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I thought they did. If you want to be a Canadian citizen, you have to pledge allegiance to the Queen of England.
You do to become an Australian as well - but we just left that bit in to annoy them!