Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Jun 26, 2005 #1

From the Discovery Channel's 100 Greatest Americans.

1. Ronald Reagan
    2. Abraham Lincoln
    3. Martin Luther King Jr.
    4. George Washington
    5. Benjamin Franklin

Votes for the candidates included a large number of AOL users.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2005 #2

Where's George W. Bush?
  4. Jun 26, 2005 #3
    is this part of that "greatest _____" thing that countries are doing now? no list of greatest americans can be taken seriously if the list of candidates to vote on doesn't include linus pauling, richard feynman, or john wheeler. i mean come on.

ben franklin should be the greatest american for this line alone: "beer is proof that god loves us & wants us to be happy"

it's just like the greatest canadian list didn't include people like hans selye (father of stress) or john fields. although it says a lot about canadian values that tommy douglas (first elected communist leader in the western hemisphere) is grestest canadian i think selye & fields should be up there, & others too.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  5. Jun 26, 2005 #4

Gold Member

Oh, i thought they had actually voted on the #1!

George W. Bush was #6, he didnt amek the top 5

@fourier jr

Yah no real list can exist for greatest anything unlses we're talken about statistics. I mean michael moore was on the nomination list so obviously we're not being completely serious.
  6. Jun 26, 2005 #5
    I agree.
    So was Rush Limbaugh.
  7. Jun 26, 2005 #6
    Lol... good point.
  8. Jun 27, 2005 #7

Staff: Mentor

Reagan and GW Bush should not have even been candidates for this list. :grumpy: Clinton shouldn't be on it either.

None of the US political leaders in the last 5 or 6 decades are anywhere near the quality of Lincoln, Jefferson or Washington.

I have to wonder about the level of ingnorance of the population which voted in this poll. It is clear that the majority know little about the last 230 years of American history. It is a sad indictment on education in the US.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  9. Jun 27, 2005 #8

Science Advisor

I agree. These top "whatever" lists are idiotic. If you watch even the most mundane of these kinds of shows, the "knowledgable" voters always choose more recent candidates over historical simply because that is all they know.

I think Regan should be in there, just not number 1. The fact that Thomas Jefferson is not in the top 5 is beyond belief to me.
  10. Jun 27, 2005 #9
    If Reagan were still alive he wouldn't have broken the top 25.

The greatest American ever is CLEARLY Al Sharpton! :biggrin:
  11. Jun 27, 2005 #10

I have a problem with Reagan over Iran-Contra, and the support of right-wing dictatorships in Central America (El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and so on). Reagan and later George Bush, the elder, blew it with Gorbachev and the Soviet Union. The US could have supported Gorbachev somehow to prevent the disintegration and chaos that has happened since then. And Reagan helped set the stage for what is going on in Washington now.

As for other Americans, how about -

Eli Whitney, Samuel F. B. Morse, Cyrus Hall McCormick, Elias Howe, Alexander Graham Bell, Linus Pauling, Jonas Salk, George Washington Carver, Wilbur and Orville Wright,
    James Madison, John Jay, Frederick Douglas, Theodore Roosevelt,
    Ralph Waldo Emerson, Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain),
    Henry W. Longfellow, Walt Whitman, Henry David Thoreau,
    Horace Mann, Mark Hopkins, Charles W. Eliot, Frances E. Willard, Booker T. Washington,
    John James Audubon, Crawford W. Long, Luther Burbank, Walter Reed, Jane Addams,
    Paul Revere, Clara Barton, . . .
  12. Jun 28, 2005 #11

Gold Member

I can't believe anyone actually paid attention to the greatest american crap. as soon as I read the list of nominees I knew it was just a bunch if stupid people who didn't know what great means
  13. Jun 28, 2005 #12

It's a stupid advertising gimmick that will be soon forgotten and is completely meaningless.
  14. Jun 28, 2005 #13
    Two things:

1) What did Eli Whitney do that made him so great? Is there something besides the cotton gin that I missed? And hell, the cotton gin was a catalyst for a huge increase in slavery, so it must be something else, right?

2) Bell was a Canadian.
  15. Jun 28, 2005 #14

Gold Member

Which means a large number of monkeys hit a bunch of buttons...
  16. Jun 28, 2005 #15

Gold Member

Reagan was a great president and thankfully took down the SU... but i mean come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, Thomas Jefferson? Its Thomas Jefferson, how can you even ... well.. i dont know... some people drink acid so i guess some people could think thomas jefferson wasnt that great....

(This'll probably spark a reagan sucks vs. reagan rules debate)
  17. Jun 28, 2005 #16
    Alexander Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland....
    He moved to Canada, even died there, but was never a citizen of Canada
    He also was a Professor at Boston USA, in 1882, where he became a naturalized citizen of the USA.
  18. Jun 28, 2005 #17

Science Advisor

I'd reply to that, but I have no idea what you just said.
  19. Jun 28, 2005 #18
    this is gonna be interesting to follow, being European and all

20. Jun 28, 2005 #19
    Homer Simpson?
    Ronald MacDonald?

They seem quite popular :wink:
  21. Jun 28, 2005 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it probably is. Ever heard of a little idea known as the assembly line' ? Whitney single-handedly revolutionized the manufacturing process.

Bell was born in Scotland (his family was from the UK), then moved to Canada, after which he moved to Boston, where he did most of his important work. After a few years of living in Boston he became an American Citizen.

Edit : Oops ! Just saw hypatia's post.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?