News And the GREATEST AMERICAN IS

• Thread starter Rabid
  • Start date
And the GREATEST AMERICAN IS !!

From the Discovery Channel's 100 Greatest Americans.

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. Martin Luther King Jr.
4. George Washington
5. Benjamin Franklin

Disclaimer

Votes for the candidates included a large number of AOL users.

Last edited:
WTF??

Where's George W. Bush?

is this part of that "greatest _____" thing that countries are doing now? no list of greatest americans can be taken seriously if the list of candidates to vote on doesn't include linus pauling, richard feynman, or john wheeler. i mean come on.

ben franklin should be the greatest american for this line alone: "beer is proof that god loves us & wants us to be happy"

it's just like the greatest canadian list didn't include people like hans selye (father of stress) or john fields. although it says a lot about canadian values that tommy douglas (first elected communist leader in the western hemisphere) is grestest canadian i think selye & fields should be up there, & others too.

Last edited:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Oh, i thought they had actually voted on the #1!

George W. Bush was #6, he didnt amek the top 5

@fourier jr

Yah no real list can exist for greatest anything unlses we're talken about statistics. I mean michael moore was on the nomination list so obviously we're not being completely serious.

Pengwuino said:
. I mean michael moore was on the nomination list so obviously we're not being completely serious.
I agree.
So was Rush Limbaugh.

rabid said:
Disclaimer

Lol... good point.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Rabid said:
From the Discovery Channel's 100 Greatest Americans.

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. Martin Luther King Jr.
4. George Washington
5. Benjamin Franklin

Disclaimer

Reagan and GW Bush should not have even been candidates for this list. :grumpy: Clinton shouldn't be on it either.

None of the US political leaders in the last 5 or 6 decades are anywhere near the quality of Lincoln, Jefferson or Washington.

I have to wonder about the level of ingnorance of the population which voted in this poll. It is clear that the majority know little about the last 230 years of American history. It is a sad indictment on education in the US.

Last edited:

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
Astronuc said:
Reagan and GW Bush should not have even been candidates for this list. :grumpy: Clinton shouldn't be on it either.

None of the US political leaders in the last 5 or 6 decades are anywhere near the quality of Lincoln, Jefferson or Washington.

I have to wonder about the level of ingnorance of the population which voted in this poll. It is clear that the majority know little about the last 230 of American history. It is a sad indictment on education in the US.
I agree. These top "whatever" lists are idiotic. If you watch even the most mundane of these kinds of shows, the "knowledgable" voters always choose more recent candidates over historical simply because that is all they know.

I think Regan should be in there, just not number 1. The fact that Thomas Jefferson is not in the top 5 is beyond belief to me.

Tarheel

If Reagan were still alive he wouldn't have broken the top 25.

The greatest American ever is CLEARLY Al Sharpton! :biggrin:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
FredGarvin said:
I think Regan should be in there, just not number 1. The fact that Thomas Jefferson is not in the top 5 is beyond belief to me.
I have a problem with Reagan over Iran-Contra, and the support of right-wing dictatorships in Central America (El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and so on). Reagan and later George Bush, the elder, blew it with Gorbachev and the Soviet Union. The US could have supported Gorbachev somehow to prevent the disintegration and chaos that has happened since then. And Reagan helped set the stage for what is going on in Washington now.

As for other Americans, how about -

Eli Whitney, Samuel F. B. Morse, Cyrus Hall McCormick, Elias Howe, Alexander Graham Bell, Linus Pauling, Jonas Salk, George Washington Carver, Wilbur and Orville Wright,
James Madison, John Jay, Frederick Douglas, Theodore Roosevelt,
Ralph Waldo Emerson, Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain),
Henry W. Longfellow, Walt Whitman, Henry David Thoreau,
Horace Mann, Mark Hopkins, Charles W. Eliot, Frances E. Willard, Booker T. Washington,
John James Audubon, Crawford W. Long, Luther Burbank, Walter Reed, Jane Addams,
Paul Revere, Clara Barton, . . .

JamesU

Gold Member
I can't believe anyone actually paid attention to the greatest american crap. as soon as I read the list of nominees I knew it was just a bunch if stupid people who didn't know what great means

Evo

Mentor
yomamma said:
I can't believe anyone actually paid attention to the greatest american crap. as soon as I read the list of nominees I knew it was just a bunch if stupid people who didn't know what great means
It's a stupid advertising gimmick that will be soon forgotten and is completely meaningless.

Astronuc said:
As for other Americans, how about -

Eli Whitney... Alexander Graham Bell
Two things:

1) What did Eli Whitney do that made him so great? Is there something besides the cotton gin that I missed? And hell, the cotton gin was a catalyst for a huge increase in slavery, so it must be something else, right?

2) Bell was a Canadian.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Rabid said:
Disclaimer

Which means a large number of monkeys hit a bunch of buttons...

Pengwuino

Gold Member
FredGarvin said:
Reagan was a great president and thankfully took down the SU... but i mean come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, Thomas Jefferson? Its Thomas Jefferson, how can you even ... well.. i dont know... some people drink acid so i guess some people could think thomas jefferson wasnt that great....

(This'll probably spark a reagan sucks vs. reagan rules debate)

Alexander Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland....
He moved to Canada, even died there, but was never a citizen of Canada
He also was a Professor at Boston USA, in 1882, where he became a naturalized citizen of the USA.

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
Pengwuino said:
Reagan was a great president and thankfully took down the SU... but i mean come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, Thomas Jefferson? Its Thomas Jefferson, how can you even ... well.. i dont know... some people drink acid so i guess some people could think thomas jefferson wasnt that great....
I'd reply to that, but I have no idea what you just said.

this is gonna be interesting to follow, being European and all

marlon

Homer Simpson?
Ronald MacDonald?

They seem quite popular :wink:

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wasteofo2 said:
Two things:

1) What did Eli Whitney do that made him so great? Is there something besides the cotton gin that I missed? And hell, the cotton gin was a catalyst for a huge increase in slavery, so it must be something else, right?
Yes, it probably is. Ever heard of a little idea known as the assembly line' ? Whitney single-handedly revolutionized the manufacturing process.

2) Bell was a Canadian.
Bell was born in Scotland (his family was from the UK), then moved to Canada, after which he moved to Boston, where he did most of his important work. After a few years of living in Boston he became an American Citizen.

Edit : Oops ! Just saw hypatia's post.

ronnie raygun was brainDEAD
and had NOTHING to do with the fall of the evil empire
that was an inside job that had very little outside help
no plans or program of the NEO-CON icon caused result
he simply happened to be in office when it happened

was the true winner even on the list
do you know who he was
F Farnsworth inventor of the TV
that man did far more to change the world
and in typical BIZ fashion got screwed out of his just rewards
by RCA and the courts

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
ray b said:
ronnie raygun was brainDEAD
and had NOTHING to do with the fall of the evil empire
that was an inside job that had very little outside help
no plans or program of the NEO-CON icon caused result
he simply happened to be in office when it happened
That will be debated for a long time.

pffft.. "Debate" is far too sophisticated a word for what happens when someone says that dope's name.

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
Bill Clinton debated over the meaning of the word "is." I think Regan should get just a tad bit of respect.

russ_watters

Mentor
FredGarvin said:
That will be debated for a long time.
Which part? The part about his mental state will certainly be debated for a long time (I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt as well) but the part about him helping to destroy the USSR is pretty much historical fact (ie, what ray_b said is pretty straightforwardly factually wrong).

The only real room for argument is the question of when. But whether Reagan caused or just accelerated (by 1, 2, 3.... decades?) the collapse of the USSR is not a hair I care to split.
wasteofo2 said:
1) What did Eli Whitney do that made him so great? Is there something besides the cotton gin that I missed?
While it may not seem like much, the cotton gin was pretty much the first machine. After he made it, people started looking for ways to automate/mechanize everything and that was the catalyst for the industrial revolution.