What is the length of x in this triangle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a geometry problem where the length of x is being asked. The participants attempted to solve the problem by extending lines and using similarity of triangles, but encountered difficulties due to the diagram being out of scale. It is mentioned that the problem needs to be solved without using any tools, and one participant suggests redrawing the diagram to make it easier to understand.
ketanco
Hello,
what is the length of x in the attached?
I tried the following:
of course BE = 5, and also the point D must be the center of internal circle that is tangent to triangle and from there i came up with some equations together with the side ratio formulas of angle bisectors but it didnt work...

answer supposed to be 15

View attachment 8588

Attachments

• 03-04.jpg
    03-04.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 70
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your diagram is way out of scale.
Suggest you redraw it, making CE approx. 3 times BE.
Then extend BD to F (F on AC).

i know my diagram is out of scale. and that is not the question here.

we are supposed to solve this question in a test by knowledge of geometry, without using any rulers or calculators or anything, in 1-2 minutes. so we do not have the means or time to draw this to scale and solve it like that. everybody can do that. i would not take the time and effort to post it here, if i was allowed to do that. i can draw it in autocad and measure it too then... but this is not what is wanted, or something we can do during the test. we need to solve this by our knowledge of geometry, even if it is out of scale. . we will have only a pencil and a paper and an eraser when solving this.

1. Extend BD to F on AC as Wilmer suggested.
2. Express all angles in ${}_{{}^\times}$ and ${}_{{}^\times}\!{}_{{}^\times}$.
3. Deduce which triangles are similar.
4. Deduce the lengths of all sides, including $x$.

i extended the line to new point F
DF = DE = 3 as they are similar triangles with one side equal
also EC = FC now
after that ABC = DBE and i get some equations with really high numbers which also didnt give the result so either i made the equation wrong or something else... anyway, this is the way to go then...

ketanco said:
i extended the line to new point F
DF = DE = 3 as they are similar triangles with one side equal
also EC = FC now
after that ABC = DBE and i get some equations with really high numbers which also didnt give the result so either i made the equation wrong or something else... anyway, this is the way to go then...

Looks good!
But ABC is not similar to DBE...

It looks like this, doesn't it?
[TIKZ]
\coordinate[label=above:A] (A) at ({2*atan2(3,4)}:{4*7/5});
\coordinate[label=left:B] (B) at (0,0);
\coordinate[label=right:C] (C) at (20,0);
\coordinate[label=above left:D] (D) at ({atan2(3,4)}:4);
\coordinate[label=below:E] (E) at (5,0);
\coordinate[label=above right:F] (F) at ({atan2(3,4)}:7);

\draw[rotate={180+2*atan2(3,4)}] (A) +(0.4,0) -- +(0.4,0.4) -- +(0,0.4);
\draw[rotate={atan2(-3,-4)}] (D) +(0.4,0) -- +(0.4,0.4) -- +(0,0.4);
\path (B) node at +({atan2(3,4)/2}:0.7) {$\times$};
\path (B) node at +({atan2(3,4)*3/2}:0.7) {$\times$};
\path (C) node at +({180-atan2(4*7/5,15+3*7/5)/4}:3) {$\times\!\times$};
\path (C) node at +({180-atan2(4*7/5,15+3*7/5)*3/4}:3) {$\times\!\times$};

\draw (B) -- node
{4} (D) -- node
{3} (E) -- node[above] {5} cycle;
\draw (C) -- (D) -- node[below right] {3} (F);
\draw[blue, ultra thick] (A) -- (B) -- (C) -- cycle;
\path (A) -- node
{$4\cdot\frac 75$} (B) (E) -- node[below] {$x$} (C) -- node[above right] {$x$} (F);
\path (A) -- node[above] {$3\cdot\frac 75$} (F);
[/TIKZ]
Perhaps it's easier to see the similar triangles now. (Thinking)​

ketanco said:
i know my diagram is out of scale. and that is not the question here.

we are supposed to solve this question in a test by knowledge of geometry, without using any rulers or calculators or anything, in 1-2 minutes. so we do not have the means or time to draw this to scale and solve it like that. everybody can do that. i would not take the time and effort to post it here, if i was allowed to do that. i can draw it in autocad and measure it too then... but this is not what is wanted, or something we can do during the test. we need to solve this by our knowledge of geometry, even if it is out of scale. . we will have only a pencil and a paper and an eraser when solving this.
That's all ok, buddy, but beside the point:
what I meant was making a diagram that's easier "to follow".
We're not taking "the test"...

1. What is an angle bisector?

An angle bisector is a line or ray that divides an angle into two equal parts. It cuts the angle into two congruent angles.

2. How is an angle bisector different from a perpendicular bisector?

An angle bisector divides an angle into two equal parts, while a perpendicular bisector divides a line segment into two equal parts at a 90 degree angle.

3. How many angle bisectors does a triangle have?

A triangle has three angle bisectors, one for each angle.

4. Can an angle bisector be outside of the triangle?

No, an angle bisector must intersect the angle and be within the boundaries of the triangle.

5. What is the relationship between angle bisectors and the incenter of a triangle?

The incenter of a triangle is the point of intersection of all three angle bisectors. It is also the center of the inscribed circle within the triangle.