Angular Acceleration: Calculating Forces in Gymnast's Hands

In summary: The angular acceleration is not constant. While the gravitational force is constant, the torque it exerts depends on the angle. The torque only equals mgx when the angle of the gymnast is 90° (horizontal). In general the torque is: \tau = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} = rFsin\thetawhere F is the force (mg, acting down) and θ is the angle between r (the vector distance from the pivot to the point of application of the force) and the force.
AngelofMusic
Hi everyone,

I'm just a bit confused about calculating angular acceleration and knowing when it is constant or not. Here's the problem:

A gymnast is swinging on a horizontal bar, and we're asked to calculate the forces in his hands when he is at 90 degrees with the bar. He was originally completely vertical. [ http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/AngelOfMusic/FBDGymnast.jpg ] (I basically represented the gymnast by a bar, but it doesn't matter in this case, since the moment of inertia is given.)

Information I've already found & confirmed:
[tex]\overline{I} = 15.246 kg m^2[/tex]
[tex]I_o = 103.576 kg m^2[/tex] (this is moment of inertia about the fixed point of rotation)
[tex]m = 73 kg[/tex]
[tex]\omega_0 = 0 rad/s[/tex]
[tex]\omega = 3.9 rad/s[/tex]

In the diagram, the distance between G and the location of the forces in his hands is 1.1 m. Now, when calculating the forces:

[tex]Fx = mr\omega^2 = 1221 N[/tex]
[tex] \sum{M_G} = F_y(1.1) = 15.246\alpha[/tex]

The part where I get stuck is in calculating the angular acceleration. I tried with two methods and got two different answers.

METHOD 1: Taking the moment about the fixed centre of rotation:
[tex]mg(1.1) = I_o\alpha[/tex]
This yields [tex]\alpha = 7.605 rad/s^2[/tex].

METHOD 2: Using kinematic equations:
[tex]\omega^2 = \omega_0^2 + 2\alpha(\theta)[/tex]
This gives me [tex]\alpha = 4.84 rad/s^2[/tex]. (The [tex]\theta[/tex] in this case is 90 degrees, or [tex]\pi/2[/tex])

The first method gives me the correct answer for the final force according to the book, but I have no idea why the two methods would produce different answers. I think the angular acceleration *should* be uniform because the only external force applied is the gravitational force, which is constant. So why couldn't I use the kinematics version of the equation to find the angular acceleration?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AngelofMusic said:
The first method gives me the correct answer for the final force according to the book, but I have no idea why the two methods would produce different answers. I think the angular acceleration *should* be uniform because the only external force applied is the gravitational force, which is constant. So why couldn't I use the kinematics version of the equation to find the angular acceleration?
The angular acceleration is not constant. While the gravitational force is constant, the torque it exerts depends on the angle. The torque only equals mgx when the angle of the gymnast is 90° (horizontal). In general the torque is:
[tex]\tau = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} = rFsin\theta[/tex]
where F is the force (mg, acting down) and θ is the angle between r (the vector distance from the pivot to the point of application of the force) and the force.

Ah, okay! Thanks a lot! That makes sense now.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of an object's angular velocity. It measures how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing over time.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is: α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is angular acceleration, ω is angular velocity, and t is time.

3. Why is angular acceleration important in gymnastics?

In gymnastics, angular acceleration is important because it helps determine the forces acting on a gymnast's hands as they rotate and perform different skills on various apparatus. It also plays a role in maintaining balance and control during gymnastics routines.

4. How does angular acceleration affect a gymnast's performance?

Angular acceleration can greatly impact a gymnast's performance. A higher angular acceleration can result in faster rotations and more difficult skills, while a lower angular acceleration may result in slower rotations and less challenging skills. It also affects the amount of force exerted on the gymnast's hands, which can impact their grip and stability during routines.

5. How can angular acceleration be adjusted in gymnastics?

Angular acceleration can be adjusted in gymnastics by changing the speed and direction of the gymnast's body movements. By manipulating their body position and technique, gymnasts can increase or decrease their angular acceleration to perform different skills and routines. Additionally, equipment such as bars and rings can also be adjusted to alter the angular acceleration experienced by the gymnast.