Angular change in velocity (momentum)

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular velocity of a merry-go-round after a child jumps on it. Using the conservation of momentum equation, r*mv+0=(I+mr)ω, and the rotational inertia formula for a point mass (mr^2), the correct answer is found to be 0.38 rad/s. This can also be derived using the parallel axis theorem.
physgrl

Homework Statement

A merry-go-round has a radius of 3.0 m and a rotational inertia of 600 kg m2. The merry-go-round is initially at rest. A 20 kg child is running at 5.0 m/s along a line tangent to the rim. Find the angular velocity of the merry-go-round after the child jumps on.

a. 0.38 rad/s
b. 0.45 rad/s
c. 0.71 rad/s
d. 0.56 rad/s
e. 1.2 rad/s

Homework Equations

p(angular)=Iω
p=mv
p(angular)=p*r

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use conservation of momentum by saying:

r*mv+0=(I+mr)ω

and i got ω=0.45 but the answer key says the answer is a. 0.38 rad/s

Physics news on Phys.org
physgrl said:
i tried to use conservation of momentum by saying:

r*mv+0=(I+mr
Right idea, but you used the wrong formula for the rotational inertia of the child. What's the rotational inertia of a point mass (we can treat the child as a point mass) that is some distance from the axis?

(Always check units. What are the units of I? Does mr have those units?)

Ohh so it will be mr^2 right? :)
How is it derived anyways?

1. What is angular change in velocity (momentum)?

Angular change in velocity, also known as angular momentum, refers to the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. In simpler terms, it is the measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular change in velocity (momentum) calculated?

The formula for calculating angular change in velocity is: angular momentum = moment of inertia x angular velocity. Moment of inertia is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, and angular velocity is the rate of change of the object's angular position over time.

3. What are the units of measurement for angular change in velocity (momentum)?

The SI unit for angular momentum is kilogram meter squared per second (kg·m²/s). However, in some cases, it can also be measured in other units such as joule seconds (J·s) or newton meters per second (N·m/s).

4. How does angular change in velocity (momentum) affect an object's motion?

Angular change in velocity (momentum) is a key factor in determining an object's rotational motion. If the angular momentum of an object is constant, the object will continue to rotate at a constant speed. However, if the angular momentum changes, the object's rotational speed will also change.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular change in velocity (momentum)?

Some common examples of angular change in velocity include the rotation of a spinning top, the motion of a diving board as a diver jumps off, or the rotation of a planet around its axis. Angular momentum is also important in sports such as ice skating, gymnastics, and figure skating, where athletes manipulate their body's rotation to perform different moves.