Angular frequency of orbiting charge in electric and magnetic fields

In summary, the problem is that when you substitute omega = \omega_0 + d\omega and notice that the 1st term on the RHS is \omega_0^2, you don’t get the solution. You need to ignore the dw^2 term on the LHS.
JamesOza

Homework Statement

A particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] and charge [itex]-q[/itex] moves in a circular orbit of radius [itex]R[/itex] about a fixed charge [itex]Q[/itex]. The angular frequency for the orbit is given by [tex]\omega_0^2 = \frac{qQ}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 m R^3}[/tex] A uniform magnetic field of magnitude [itex]B[/itex] in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the orbit is turned on. As a result, the angular frequency is changed to [itex] \omega_0 + d\omega[/itex]. Assuming that [itex]B[/itex] is sufficiently small so that products of [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]d\omega[/itex] can be neglected, calculate [itex]d\omega[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has frustrated me for days, particularly as I know the answer to be [tex]d\omega = \frac{qB}{2m}[/tex] I have tried using the Lorentz force with motion in a circle to try and obtain the answer, but end up nowhere. There must be some mathematical trickery, possibly with approximations, that I’m missing. Any help and hints with how to start and proceed with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This seems to be a rather straight-forward application of the Lorentz force. Show what you have done.

I agree it should be a straight forward application of the Lorentz force. I can see that the given answer for [itex]d\omega[/itex] is half the angular frequency if there was no electric field. Here’s how I started, [tex]m \omega^2 R = q(E + \omega RB)[/tex] [tex]\omega^2 = \frac{qQ}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 m R^3} + \frac{q \omega B}{m}[/tex] However substituting [itex]\omega = \omega_0 + d\omega[/itex] and noticing that the 1st term on the RHS is [itex]\omega_0^2[/itex] doesn’t lead me to the solution. What am I missing? Thanks.

Expand the LHS. What's left of the equation when you apply your observation about the RHS?

Solved it! I’d expanded the LHS several times, and every time I did I neglected to ignore [itex]dw^2[/itex]. Thanks for your help voko, it was reassuring to know I was on the right track.

What is the definition of angular frequency in the context of orbiting charge in electric and magnetic fields?

The angular frequency of an orbiting charge in electric and magnetic fields is the rate at which the charge rotates around the center of the field. It is measured in radians per second.

How is the angular frequency of an orbiting charge affected by changes in the electric and magnetic fields?

The angular frequency of an orbiting charge is directly proportional to the strength of the electric and magnetic fields. As the fields increase, the angular frequency also increases, and vice versa.

What is the relationship between the angular frequency and the period of an orbiting charge in electric and magnetic fields?

The period of an orbiting charge is the time it takes for the charge to complete one full rotation around the center of the electric and magnetic fields. The angular frequency is equal to 2π divided by the period, so they are inversely proportional.

How does the mass of an orbiting charge affect its angular frequency in electric and magnetic fields?

The mass of an orbiting charge does not affect its angular frequency in electric and magnetic fields. The angular frequency is only dependent on the strength of the fields and the charge's velocity.

Can the angular frequency of an orbiting charge in electric and magnetic fields be negative?

Yes, the angular frequency of an orbiting charge can be negative if the direction of rotation is opposite to the direction of the applied electric and magnetic fields. This is known as a retrograde orbit.