Angular magnification and the magnifying glass

In summary, the distance between the work and the magnifying glass is 6.88 cm and the angular magnification of the magnifying glass is 3.63. The formulas used were 1/do = 1/f - 1/di and M = -di/do.
Reservist

Homework Statement

An engraver uses a magnifying glass (f=9.5 cm) to examine some work. The image he sees is located 25 cm from his eye, which is his near point. A) what is the distance between the work and the magnifying glass? b) what is the angular magnification of the magnifying glass?

Homework Equations

M= (1/f -1/di)N
1/di + 1/do = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

A) 1/25 + 1/do= 1/9.5 do= 15.3 cm

b) m=(1/9.5 - 1/25) 25 M= 1.63

Can some one check/ correct my work, not sure if I'm using the correct formulas. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a virtual image. Using the sign convention you have, the image distance is negative. So $$\begin {eqnarray*}
\frac 1{d_o}&=&\frac 1f-\frac 1{d_i}\\
&=&\frac 1 {9.5}-\frac 1 {-25}\end {eqnarray*} $$I make that ##d_o=6.88##cm for part (a).

Angular magnification is just ##M=-d_i/d_o##. Not sure what your formula is since you don't define N. In this case I make it 25/6.88=3.63 for part (b).

1. What is angular magnification?

Angular magnification is the ratio of the angle subtended by the object when viewed through a magnifying glass to the angle subtended by the same object when viewed with the naked eye.

2. How is angular magnification calculated?

Angular magnification is calculated by dividing the image distance by the object distance. The image distance is the distance between the magnifying glass and the virtual image formed by the lens, while the object distance is the distance between the magnifying glass and the object being viewed.

3. What is the significance of angular magnification?

Angular magnification allows for objects to appear larger and more detailed when viewed through a magnifying glass. This is especially useful for individuals with visual impairments or for tasks that require precise magnification, such as examining small objects or reading fine print.

4. How does the shape of the magnifying glass affect angular magnification?

The shape of the magnifying glass does not affect angular magnification. It is determined by the focal length of the lens and the distance between the lens and the object being viewed.

5. Is angular magnification the same as magnification?

No, angular magnification and magnification are not the same. Angular magnification is a measurement of the perceived size of an object, while magnification is a measurement of the actual size of an object compared to its original size.